Cant suck air through Atomic regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If it's just the O-ring (as pictured below) then you simply need to put a new one in. Though you may have to go to the LDS to buy one if you don't have it handy (50 cents or so) As NetDoc stated that would make the air blow out the "pin-hole" on the side of the valve (not the back where the burst-disk is)

While DIN o-rings do not "go bad" frequently like yoke, they do occassionaly fall out and get lost (which would make sense if it's been in storage without a dustcap on) So it's always a good idea to have an extra (or 3) in your "save-a-dive" kit.

Aloha, Tim

P.S. if it's been sitting for 4 months, especially with the dustcap off, or in a warm location you may want to consider an annual servicing anyway...how long since the last "annual" checkup?

Thanks for all the advice guys. I bought a box of orings and dropped one in. it works fine now exept right after i inhale the reg makes a whinning noise as i breath out through the reg like a moan. what could this be?

kidspot:
If it's just the O-ring (as pictured below) then you simply need to put a new one in. Though you may have to go to the LDS to buy one if you don't have it handy (50 cents or so) As NetDoc stated that would make the air blow out the "pin-hole" on the side of the valve (not the back where the burst-disk is)

While DIN o-rings do not "go bad" frequently like yoke, they do occassionaly fall out and get lost (which would make sense if it's been in storage without a dustcap on) So it's always a good idea to have an extra (or 3) in your "save-a-dive" kit.

Aloha, Tim

P.S. if it's been sitting for 4 months, especially with the dustcap off, or in a warm location you may want to consider an annual servicing anyway...how long since the last "annual" checkup?

The whiniing noise during exhale is probably a partially stuck exhaust valve or it may be dry and stiff and in need of R&R.
I applaud your curiosity, regulators are extremely simple devices and actually easy to work on, I have been doing so succesfully since I was about 14 and I am still alive. BUT, rather than working on your Atomic why not purchase a similar but older regulator off of ebay. Older single hose units have no real collector value like double hose regs do and would cost you less than 20 dollars. You could then take it apart and play with it and learn how they work and what goes on inside with no risk to your person.
Don't beleive all the smoke and mirrors about regulators, they are extremely simple and have very few parts and very few moving parts at that. The real trick is learning to tune them and discerning what is normal and acceptable from that which is not.
Some dive shops have well equipped work benches and trained techs, most have a guy who would be dangerous to himself with a butter knife and extensive tools consisting of pliers, spanner, rusty screw driver. N

You can usually grab an old Scubapro Mk5 with a metal adjustable for under $50.00 on ebay. The design is similiar to your Atomic, but a bit simpler. Only problem may be that you might find it performs every bit as well as your Atomic reg. Oh well, at least you will have a good backup set. Only special tool you should need is a "bullet tool" for reinstalling the piston past the HP o-ring without cutting it.

I love this forum. It is filled with so many knowledgeable divers. When I was at the local sports chalet( I had no choice no local stores had orings :( ) I purchased a cheesy overpriced trident brand "dive tool" has some allen wrenches,a cresent wrench, a oring remover,phillips,flathead. Whats the bullet tool?

awap:
You can usually grab an old Scubapro Mk5 with a metal adjustable for under $50.00 on ebay. The design is similiar to your Atomic, but a bit simpler. Only problem may be that you might find it performs every bit as well as your Atomic reg. Oh well, at least you will have a good backup set. Only special tool you should need is a "bullet tool" for reinstalling the piston past the HP o-ring without cutting it.

domskynetlabs:
I love this forum. It is filled with so many knowledgeable divers. When I was at the local sports chalet( I had no choice no local stores had orings :( ) I purchased a cheesy overpriced trident brand "dive tool" has some allen wrenches,a cresent wrench, a oring remover,phillips,flathead. Whats the bullet tool?

http://scubatools.com/Scubapro.html

You have the scuba multi-tool. Good for the save-a-dive kind of things but not much more. Be careful what you attack with that O-ring remover. I would hesitate using it on anything other than a yoke style tank valve o-ring. This site has all the tools you would need plus a bunch you can get by without. Scubapro "bullet tool" is in the middle of the page. Atomic also has a bullet tool but it is somehow different.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom