Can't get trimmed out.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wreck/Tec once bubbled...
I have an OMS System. The DIR school discourages elastometric bands on the wings. They view them as an entanglement hazzard. I tried to dive my twin 98s all summer with out the bands. I to was severely face heavy. I added the bands to my 100 lb wing and problem solved. There was too much air towards the rear, and air shift was to radical. DIR has many good points. In my opinion, that wasn't one of them! Hope it helps.......
Wreck/Tec

Perhaps I should pull my Classic off & put my Rec wing on it. TOOOOO many options.

Those Catalina C80 tanks are a little too negatively buoyant to work well as doubles with a wetsuit. And most of that negative buoyancy is near the top of the tank which will tend to push your head down. Try swapping them for a pair of Luxfer S080 tanks, which are positively buoyant when empty, and make up the difference with a weight belt. This will also allow you to have more ditchable weight in case the wing fails (balanced rig).

Also, if you can move the tank bands up a little that will help to shift the weight toward your feet.

-Nick

I haven't dived doubled up aluminum tanks so I don't know. However I use AL 80's for deco and stage bottles and even though they are pos when empty they also go nose down (severely). Put 50% helium in one and goes streight up (upside down).

thethumper once bubbled...

He's always on vacation. But I'l PM any how
Anyway, after looking at the pics I think you can move the bands up on the tanks a little. The other stuff listed is also good to try and I can't think of anything else to try.

I do have a set of Catalina AL80 doubles, but mine aren't the funky new 3300 psi neutrally buoyant ones, but are just plain old S80s. I don't have any trim problems with mine and dive dry with about 6# on a weightbelt if I don't carry my ~6-7# negative AUL canister with an SS bp. My other doubles are steel 72s and I don't wear any weights with them. I am planning a 6# v-weight for the AL80s to get weightbelts out of my life for good, but haven't done so yet. In a wetsuit (I usually dive a 5mm gold core with hooded vest and gloves), I don't wear any weights but am somewhat too negative when I carry my light. I decided to live with it until I get the cash thrown together for a nifty little HID and can stop carrying my water heater sized AUL light.

Anyway, the difference is probably in the tanks since the S80s are pretty much standard AL80 stuff...they swing from a couple pounds negative each when full to around 4# positive each when empty (hence the weightbelt). From what I remember, the C80s are pretty negative (around 6# each??) full and, if they do what they say they do, swing to neutral when empty, no?

YA BUM

Thanks.... The photos on my site are actually predive. I moved the bands up to the point there was 1/8" of inner band exposed above the shoulder. I'm gonna try moving the wing to the bottom most eyelets to move the wing as high up as possible. Maybe moving the boyancey closer to the back of my head will help..... Oh I can't pass this one up..."Too bad I'm not Blonde" :mean:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom