Can't get horizontal in the water??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

J-FRAME

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I,m always looking down and can not get my head back far enough to see forward. I know its a weight issue 300 lbs 6ft6 and use intergated weight bc-24 lbs 4 in each back pouch and 8 in each front drop pouch. Weight sets rather high on me not on hips. A weight belt will not stay on me. Maybe a couple 1 lbs ankle weights to make me level. I would like to see where I,m going not straight down. Thanks for any help.

You have not said what type of BC your diving with, If your in a traditonal Jacket style, I would suggest trying out a Backplate/Wing BC. This way you can have more of the weight built into the rig without needing to add/place extra weights around you. Also BP/W are also configured to you so it's possible your BC might not fit 100% and is moving/sliding on you while your diving.

BUt as others stated in your other (SAC) thread your a new diver this is something that comes in time we all had issue's with this some still do. If your serious about trying to get it fixed I would wait till you get at least 20 dives see where your at get comfortable with diving/your gear and be relaxed than I would go and do Advanced Bouyancy class or a fundies class. Someone that will dive/watch and help you. I know my Diveshop I trained with during there Advanced class they focus on trim/and finning they also bring a video camera and review what your doing right/wrong and show in video they help set your gear up correctly and make adjustments etc..

Its possible your fins are positively buoyant and ankle weights would help but hard telling without seeing you dive.

It sounds like you've got a couple of things going on. First of all that your BC does not fit you properly. I'd start by taking all the lead out of your BC. The trim pockets are just that - for adjusting trim. If you're packing 5lb bags of shot in those pockets you're going to have issues. Put the lead on your hips with a belt and see if that improves things any.

I'm assuming you're using an aluminum tank as well? AL tanks, when full, are "head heavy". If you could cut one in half (lengthwise) you'd see that the thickest part of the tank would be right behind your head. If you couple that with the BC being too small and the weight being halfway up your torso you're going to struggle to get horizontal.

It was alluded to by a previous poster, but I'll come out and say it - you're a big dude, and perhaps your equipment needs reconsideration. Some manufacturers (like Tobin @ Deep Sea Supply) make backplates that are larger than standard so that taller people can spread the BC configuration over their bodies better.

Your problem is not unique, nor is it unsolvable. But you're going to need to make changes before you feel comfortable. Spend some time with a (good) instructor who can help you get situated. You can do this in the deep end of a pool with all the weights and gadetry stashed on the deck.

Good luck, it'll be worth the hassle once you've figured it out.

It sure would be nice if the answer to the worlds problems was something other than "buy a BP/W"? :D

Start by getting your feet down. Weight maybe the answer or heavier fins. Get 3lbs ankle weights, that's 3lbs per ankle. Move your tank down if possible. Why can't you wear a weight belt? Anyway that may help. A weight system may also help but may not be necessary. It sounds like your BC rides high or is too small.

DUI - Weight & Trim System

http://www.best-scuba-diving-tips.com/scuba-bcd.html

This is very difficult to do online. It would be very worthwhile paying an instructor a few bucks for a weight/trim evaluation in the pool.

It sure would be nice if the answer to the worlds problems was something other than "buy a BP/W"? :D

It would be nice if more instructors steered their students in the right direction from the start. And yes, it'd be nice if there were another answer... and there may will be - but it's certainly not more correct.

If you're in a dry suit you may just be having a bunch of your air collecting in your booties. Important thing to remember is if you're already weighted correctly, try not to change that. Shift your weight to correct trim, don't add more.
(IE. add ankle weights and take an equal amount out of your BC pockets.)
This is more important to follow if you're adding say 2lbs or more to change your trim.

You may also try gaitors, I've heard they can help to restrict inflated booties, if that is indeed the cause.

If you have a stomach, I'm not sure if a Bp/W would be able to fit you as well as other's have stated. Definitely try one on if you intend to pursue that route. You can always glue a metal keeper and add a crotch strap to your current BC. Some BC's will even have a slot for a crotch strap. So a Bp/W isn't entirely necessary if you just need to get rid of vertical shifting.

This diver is head down, so I am unclear how a BPW solves that issue? This diver seem to need more weight lower on the body. The canned BPW argument dies not seem to apply, but It's nice to know that your feathers are easily ruffled! :D

I dive a BPW in cold water with a drysuit. I prefer a Zeagle Stiletto wet and warm.

You've gotten all the good advice. You'll figure it out, especially if you get with a good instructor or experienced diver. I'll just throw this in-- If a weight belt is part of the solution consider suspenders. They're cheap--I haven't had a belt slip since getting it--CAN'T slip. No tightening that belt 'til it hurts. Some people just can't keep a belt from slipping. Some use a shoulder harness--that may be also worth looking into. --if these things can help with your trim.

This diver is head down, so I am unclear how a BPW solves that issue? This diver seem to need more weight lower on the body. The canned BPW argument dies not seem to apply, but It's nice to know that your feathers are easily ruffled! :D

I dive a BPW in cold water with a drysuit. I prefer a Zeagle Stiletto wet and warm.
In the bp/wing, you have the ability to determine how high on the back, or lower down toward the waiste, the backplate is going to sit....this can have a very large effect on head floating up or feet floating up positions...This customization far exceeds any Jacket style BC.
Next, in his next posts, this OP says he is always low on air before others.....he is hoovering....So another fix to his first issue, will also help him in his second issue.....He should be in double al 80"s with maybe a 50 pound wing ( rather than a 40, for his size and newness).....this will have lower center of gravity and be more stable for him....and he will have much more gas.....With his size, the weight in carrying this, should be negligable---maybe easier for him than most carrying a single 80 :)
For this route, he will need help from someone who knows how to rig a doubles setup, and to teach him the basics of using this. He can NOT get into a fundies class, he has a huge amount of work to do prior to this.
I think the ankle weight idea is one of the worst solutions in diving....one almost always easily solved by using the right tank and gear combinations....Some drysuits can not be dived intelligently( ie., need to be tossed out because they are garbage for diving), and there is the technique of using a reverse kick to pull your feet down occasionally, to push let the water pressure push the air out of the feet when too much has begun to accumulate----you never, ever, let this go--you fix it early, with the early signs.

With doubles, there is also the option of V-weights on the backplate -- for a drysuit, if needed.... no need for weight on the waiste....the idea has to be that if a wing failure occured, with drysuit puncture, that he could ditch whatever weight needed to EASILY swim up....so v-weights are only going to be a good option in my way of thinking, to deal with the bouyancy of fat ( which is a constant unchanged by the wing or dry suit failures)...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom