Can't get away from a feet down position at depth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cmfd404, we can dance all around it but the simple fact is that your problem is that your legs sink. This isn't a rare problem and is caused by your physique - muscular legs are denser than water and sink. You don't help yourself with heavy (less bouyant) fins, but that's a secondary issue.

Question, what's the best way to deal with things that sink? Answer, attach floatation. So either tie floats to your ankles or knees, or wrap your legs in some floatation material such as foamed neoprene. What I'm saying is, scrap the shortie and wear a full suit.

You can move weights or your tank around to try to compensate, but that'll mean using your back muscles to hold up your legs. Also compare the torque difference between move a few pounds up a few inches, to adding 2 or more pounds of floatation 2 feet below your midpoint.

If while using a full suit, you still have a problem, continue to refine your trim by moving weight towards your head.

It is simple: FEET DOWN TOO negative at that Depth Add AIR to your BCD, FEET UP TOO positive at that Depth take air out, IF YOU DO NOT want to be that way. Many photographers use this technique to take pictures and then breath in to get out of the location with out kicking it up.
Find a Good Diver/ dive buddy watch immitate and just dive more, especially in the GREAT LAKES! It will come quickly if you dive more often. I recommend you take time in a quarry or on a shipwreck and just breath and play with your bouyancy, next to something so you can watch and see what is happening to your buoyancy, you can take a class, but when you get it, you will know. You will hardly touch your BCD...

Why don't you look around your area for a Peak Performance Buoyancy class with a highly regarded instructor. But try to find a small class where you can get a lot of individualized attention. Sometimes it is because the diver is looking up and it's like in gymnastics, the body tends to follow the head. I think a lot of it is just time in the water along with relaxation. Some fins are more "floaty" than others and wearing booties with your fins might help get your legs up a little. Christy

Just curious...why is this in advanced scuba?

Hello cmfd404,

I have to agree with don Francisco 1st and 2nd reply. In addition, I can share a few things that I share with divers that I train.

1) It's not normal for humans to spend a lot of time in a horizontal position, day in and day out we as humans do just about everything in a vertical position except sleeping and SE% :). Asking yourself to assume a true horizontal position in the water column is a vary tall order.

2)If you are trying to stay horizontal, you cant allow your body to totally relax, you have to focus on keeping your arms out in front of you (just about stretched out all the way), you need to lift your head as if your looking up, you need to have a slight arch to your back and keep your knees bent with you fins parallel to your torso.

3)You need to widen your stance to increase stabilization in the water column by spreading out your surface area (arms and legs a tad bit wider than shoulder width apart)

4)Propulsion techniques are key to control in the water.

Finding a good local mentor would be key (friend or Instructor) but before you pay anyone, you might want to go diving with that individual to see how their trim, buoyancy and propulsion is in the water to see if they have something to offer you!

If your having a hard time finding someone, you can fly out here to the east coast, we have an indoor pool on premises and a really good local dive site to hone in on your skills. The trip will be worth your while. If you want references just ask!

I hope you can apply a few of the techniques. Keep us posted on how you progress!

Cheers

How soon until you dive again? Any chance of getting video?

well i most likely wont be in that water until spring it cold up here now but if i am it will be in a pool and im not shure about a vid if things go well maybe but dont hold your breath

as for y i deemed to post in advanced because i think of it as more a honeing my skills problem not somuch as a cant figure out y im all over the water colum boyancy problem

also i live in central illinois

Huh... so do I.

Contact me privately... there are a number of good dive shops and folks in the area that can help... I even work with one in the Peoria area... (not sure how "central" ya' are... but that's my basic geographic area...)

Hello cmfd404,

I have to agree with don Francisco 1st and 2nd reply. In addition, I can share a few things that I share with divers that I train.

1) It's not normal for humans to spend a lot of time in a horizontal position, day in and day out we as humans do just about everything in a vertical position except sleeping and SE% :). Asking yourself to assume a true horizontal position in the water column is a vary tall order.

2)If you are trying to stay horizontal, you cant allow your body to totally relax, you have to focus on keeping your arms out in front of you (just about stretched out all the way), you need to lift your head as if your looking up, you need to have a slight arch to your back and keep your knees bent with you fins parallel to your torso.

3)You need to widen your stance to increase stabilization in the water column by spreading out your surface area (arms and legs a tad bit wider than shoulder width apart)

4)Propulsion techniques are key to control in the water.

Finding a good local mentor would be key (friend or Instructor) but before you pay anyone, you might want to go diving with that individual to see how their trim, buoyancy and propulsion is in the water to see if they have something to offer you!

If your having a hard time finding someone, you can fly out here to the east coast, we have an indoor pool on premises and a really good local dive site to hone in on your skills. The trip will be worth your while. If you want references just ask!

I hope you can apply a few of the techniques. Keep us posted on how you progress!

Cheers
this is exactly what i have been working on for three months. its not easy. once you get it i am sure its an ah ha moment. but till then its hit and miss and hell. what kind of what are you offering? time in a pool? with an instructor? i am interested. please let me know. wendy

Back
Top Bottom