can't find it

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justleesa

Neither here nor there
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
Found this fish in a coral head at 40' and I can't find it in John Hoovers book. Anybody got an idea?

Well...if it wasn't spotted and it wasn't pink, it would look like our Soapfish.

Not much help, huh? :D

Dee:
Well...if it wasn't spotted and it wasn't pink, it would look like our Soapfish.

Not much help, huh? :D

lol...maybe it has a rash? :profile:

With that mouth I'll bet it is a Hawkfish. I'll have my local marine biologist friend take a look at it and get a positive ID.

Gilligan:
With that mouth I'll bet it is a Hawkfish. I'll have my local marine biologist friend take a look at it and get a positive ID.
That would be great! Thanks! I was looking thru some of our other pics and I thought it might be a juv. Blackside Hawkfish.....but found a pic of the juv. stage and it's striped....I'm looking forward to what your friend has to say.
Aloha,
Lisa

Caracanthus maculatus - Known as a gumdrop goby in the aquarium trade. One of the local books refers to it as an orbic velvetfish.

They are quite common in larger cauliflower corals and elkhorns. Apparently they have a poisoness spine somewhere, not sure if it's the cheekspine or a single dorsal spine.

Steve

friscuba:
Caracanthus maculatus - Known as a gumdrop goby in the aquarium trade. One of the local books refers to it as an orbic velvetfish.

They are quite common in larger cauliflower corals and elkhorns. Apparently they have a poisoness spine somewhere, not sure if it's the cheekspine or a single dorsal spine.

Steve
Thank you soo much!

friscuba:

Steve

Unlikely. The mouth is wrong. Look at these pictures:

http://www.fishbase.org/Photos/ThumbnailsSummary.cfm?ID=7873

These are Caracanthus maculatus

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom