can't find it

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fishbase has some poor pics that are side views only. I e-mailed the guys at the Waikiki Aquarium for info about this fish when I first moved here because I couldn't find any scientific names for it. I used to sell them back in the days when I owned a pet store and couldn't find anyghint about them in books.

In Kona they are extremely common (almost any cauliflower coral with a diameter of around 10 inches that is somewhat deep will have one or 2 of these in them) yet nobody really looks for them so most DMs don't know what they are. We also often find guard crabs, snapping shrimp and speckled scorpions in the same corals along with the gumdrop gobies.

Later Edit....

Just pointed out elsewhere that they are not C. maculatus but C. typicus. Could be a classification change since I wrote the guys at the Waikiki aquarium 5 year back or possibly they made the same mistake as I, oh well.

Diver0001:
Unlikely. The mouth is wrong. Look at these pictures:

http://www.fishbase.org/Photos/ThumbnailsSummary.cfm?ID=7873

These are Caracanthus maculatus

R..

Er... so is it a gumdrop goby or not?

According to my marine biologist friend here on Maui it is a Hawaiian Orbicular Velvetfish a/k/a "Velvetfish" for short (Caracanthus typicus) Page 65 in the Randall book.

I stand corrected. Typicus not maculatus. Thanks. They are cute little guys.

Steve

Gilligan:
According to my marine biologist friend here on Maui it is a Hawaiian Orbicular Velvetfish a/k/a "Velvetfish" for short (Caracanthus typicus) Page 65 in the Randall book.

Gilligan, would you mind ratting out the name of your marine biologist pal on Maui? Maybe he's the same person I know... ha ha.

Wow, I am glad you guys know what it is...it looks nothing like the description or photo in my new ID book. And the closest I come to the above is a Caracanthus maculatus...don't have the typicus in here at all.

They sure do look different from that angle!

Gilligan:

Well that explains why I can't find it on page 65 in my "Hoover" book! Missed the Randall part!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom