Can't Download Dives from Suunto Cobra

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mcgowman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My trusty Suunto Cobra (original model, not Cobra 2 or 3) has suddenly decided it doesn't want to download dives into Dive Manager anymore. I keep getting a message: Device Not Found

I used to download using the old serial cable with a Serial-USB converter attached. After reading something last week that Vista didn't like Serial-USB converters, I broke down and ordered a real USB cable. Still no love.

I also tried installing Dive Manager on an older Windows XP box that has a serial port. Still didn't work with the original serial cable.

When Dive Manager attempts to connect, I can see two little arrows above the buttons on the Cobra blinking alternately, so I think the PC is attempting to connect, but it's not recognizing the device.

Anybody have a similar experience or solution?

Otherwise the computer is fine, it recorded some shallow dives last weekend fine.

Thanks.

Go to device manager on your computer and check serial ports to ensure that the serial port that your computer is seeing the cable on is the same that is in the setup for your Suunto software...... Even though it is a USB cable the data transfer to and from the dive computer is still a serial path.

Last edited:
Is your new USB cable a genuine Suunto cable? Suunto changed the software a year or two ago so that USB cables from aftermarket sources no longer work. Your symptoms match that situation.

My trusty Suunto Cobra (original model, not Cobra 2 or 3) has suddenly decided it doesn't want to download dives into Dive Manager anymore. I keep getting a message: Device Not Found

I used to download using the old serial cable with a Serial-USB converter attached. After reading something last week that Vista didn't like Serial-USB converters, I broke down and ordered a real USB cable. Still no love.

I also tried installing Dive Manager on an older Windows XP box that has a serial port. Still didn't work with the original serial cable.

When Dive Manager attempts to connect, I can see two little arrows above the buttons on the Cobra blinking alternately, so I think the PC is attempting to connect, but it's not recognizing the device.

Anybody have a similar experience or solution?

Otherwise the computer is fine, it recorded some shallow dives last weekend fine.

Thanks.

Other ideas based on my Vyper experience. Make sure the Smart button selects the PC mode, it's easy to overlook this.

And press the cable to the computer. I find I have to put a book on top of the thing to make a good connection.

Adam

Go to device manager on your computer and check serial ports to ensure that the serial port that your computer is seeing the cable on is the same that is in the setup for your Suunto software...... Even though it is a USB cable the data transfer to and from the dive computer is still a serial path.

When I plug in the new USB cable, it shows in Device Manager under Ports (COM & LPT) as 'Suunto USB Serial Port (COM7)'. That's the only COM Port listed with that number.

Is your new USB cable a genuine Suunto cable?

Yes, it's a genuine Suunto cable.

On your Suunto software look under the top menu for something like transfer and choose PC Interface Setup and ensure that the com port listed there is 7....

When I plug in the new USB cable, it shows in Device Manager under Ports (COM & LPT) as 'Suunto USB Serial Port (COM7)'. That's the only COM Port listed with that number.

Tracked down the issue. It was a bad USB cable. Exchanged it for a replacement. The Cobra downloads to Dive Manager fine now. Thanks for all the help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom