Can't Decide! Belize, Little Cayman or Bonaire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KLETCO

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
For those of you who have been to Belize, my Boyfriend and I are potentially planning a trip there and need some advice. The time period would be November 2008 (Thanksgiving week) and we are looking at Turneffe Lodge.

What I'd like to know is how it compares to Bonaire and Little Cayman. We stayed at Harbour Village in Bonaire in May 2007 and LOVED it, and we've been to Little Cayman twice, both times at Southern Cross Club, in July and November 2007. We can't decide if we should return to either Bonaire or Little Cayman, or try Belize.

With Bonaire/Harbour Village, we loved the shore diving, the size of the island (having a little town and being able to drive around, choose our own food, etc), and the beach at HV. We also loved seeing little things, and being able to stay relatively shallow (60ft and above) without missing much.

With Southern Cross/Little Cayman, we loved how easy it was to not have to think about what we were going to eat and when, and the self-service of the diving (compared to shore Diving in Bonaire). Little Cayman had the wonderful walls, and the shallows were still very interesting. Vis was also spectacular.

As a fairly new diver, I'd also be interested in seeing some bigger things (manta rays, for sure). We do have a trip already planned for Turks & Caicos in June, so I might get to see something there.

Thoughts on comparing these locations??

Thanks!
Kim

Thoughts on comparing these locations??

Thoughts? Bazillions and then... none at all.

It's Belize. You haven't been yet. Go.

I liked your comments about shallow and small stuff- that's Belize! (for me, anyway)

The "bigger stuff" will arrive when you aren't looking for it. Maybe on your T&C Aggressor trip that is coming up, maybe not.

Get lots and lots of logged dives under your belt. Your time and money will be well spent with a trip to Belize.

At this point in your diving career, it is way to early to return to any one place. Go and explore.

kletco,
welcome to this board.
i think you might be pleased with reefs in belize.
i've been to grand cayman and bonaire.
the health of the reefs in belize seem to be at the same level as the other two.
i say go to belize, you don't have to return if you think another place has better diving.
regards,

You might want to check out Glover's Reef. It's the least visited of the three atolls. I did a couple of trips with Isla Marisol - Belize vacation resort – Isla Marisol . The diving was incredible - 100 foot viz, sheer walls, and healthy marine life. Downsides to any of the atolls is that they are remote - no towns or other choice of restaurants - and the sand fleas can be fierce.

It looks like Isla Marisol is booked for the dates that we want to go...

Thank you for your comments, everyone! I'm leaning towards Belize, but I loved Bonaire and LC so much it's hard not to go back! :)

How would the weather be in November?

For a pretty good description (including mine) of the diving on the Atolls of Belize, see:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/belize/218718-comparing-turneffe-atoll-glover-s-reef.html

The others are right. So many places to see, don't go back to a place (yet). There is value in going back to a place you know, you aren't so overwhelmed with the newness and you can settle in and appreciate the nuances. So do go back, but make sure its where you want to go back to. Belize, and particularly the Atolls are amazing.

As to the weather, depends, November can be at the end of Hurricane season, but aside from that it should be lovely, cooling down some and nice trade winds to keep the sand flies down. Given the month, I'd spring for trip insurance. You probably won't need it, but its worth having.

The best diving I did in Belize was right out in front of the resort you are staying at. The reef is pristine, especially off the elbow...Enjoy!

I agree, if you're thinking of Turneffe, do Turneffe. I'm sure you will return to Bonaire and Little Cayman again, they're good and you should. But if you don't have a strong reason to repeat right now, try something good and different.

Hi. I agree with the other posters. I haven't stayed at Turneffe, but have been to Glovers and stayed at Lighthouse Reef Resort (now closed). I LOVED the wall diving in belize and you see bigger critters than in Bonaire (I liked bonaire a lot too, but love the walls at the atolls in belize). I have seen a fair number of eagles rays and the fish diversity is excellent. I haven't been to LC, so can't compare there.

Thanks for the link and your blog. Let me know when the cabana is done so I can come visit:wink:

One note in your post on the other thread about Off The Wall Dive Center - "they only take slickrock folks diving (because that's the only people on Long Caye). " - I exchanged emails with the owners last year when I was going to visit by private sailboat and they were very friendly and willing to take me diving even though I wasn't staying there. We ended up not making it to their part of Glover's and only diving with Isla Marisol but I would love to get out there on our next trip in May/June.

For a pretty good description (including mine) of the diving on the Atolls of Belize, see:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/belize/218718-comparing-turneffe-atoll-glover-s-reef.html

The others are right. So many places to see, don't go back to a place (yet). There is value in going back to a place you know, you aren't so overwhelmed with the newness and you can settle in and appreciate the nuances. So do go back, but make sure its where you want to go back to. Belize, and particularly the Atolls are amazing.

As to the weather, depends, November can be at the end of Hurricane season, but aside from that it should be lovely, cooling down some and nice trade winds to keep the sand flies down. Given the month, I'd spring for trip insurance. You probably won't need it, but its worth having.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom