Canon vs Nikon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Of course I don't mind, that's why I posted it here, so I could learn from others! I can see what you mean. Thanks!

Cool, some do not like people to edit their pictures.

If you do go with a dslr, you may also want to consider size, as packability may be important. I travel allot, that made the 50D and 5D MK II impractical. And the 500D was the better size for traveling for me. :wink: If the d5000 did not have the lens issue with the whole nikon line up, it too would be a good travel size dslr to consider.:cool2:

PS

If you do come to new for your photo gear, adorama and leasurepro are in the same building. But the bad thing is that can cost you to spend even more money:wink:

Hi again,

A friend of mine offered to sell me for 300 Euros his set with a Canon 350D, a flash Canon Speedlite 430EX, and two lenses, a Canon EFS 18-55mm and a Tamron AF 55-200 1:4-5,6 MACRO. It looks like a good deal, they are in perfect conditions (he only made about 300 photos with it).

Now the questions for the forum:
- Is this a decent camera for improving my DSLR skills?
- Is it ok for UW Photography (housings, etc?)
- I was told I would need a different set of lenses UW, maybe a Tokina 10-17mm WA and a 60 or 100mm macro.

Comments, anyone? Thanks.

I can't comment much on the cost. It seems reasonable, but I'm not familiar with the european used dSLR market. The lenses are basic kit lenses and should be sufficient for learning the camera. I do like having the Speedlite. You can learn more about flash photography on land and much of it will be similar underwater. I may suggest an off-shoe e-TTL cable (canon has one or there are cheap clones on ebay). With off-shoe flash, you can move your speedlite around a bit more like most UW strobes.

I think the 350D is certainly sufficient for a dSLR. I use one as a backup/lightweight camera on occasion. The basics of improving photography skills with a dSLR are pretty much the same on all dSLRs. For example, learning manual controls, depth of field, and composition all involve controls that each dSLR has and there isn't that much a difference between most of the specific models (for your purposes).

I'm aware that housings are made for this camera (for example: Underwater Housing for Canon 350D Digital Rebel XT)

You could use the 18-55mm underwater, but most would opt for one of the wider zooms, such as the 10-17, you mention. I would't bother looking for a port that would fit the Tamron lens, the 60 or 100mm macros are not very expensive and do a very good job.

Last edited:
The 350D is a big step down for all the camera's you are considering. It was the canon base model before it was replaced by the 1000D, and it is not packed with to many feature. It has a low ISO of 1600 so if you take low light photos without a flash it will be a issue without a tripod. No video abilities.

Also it has the older sensor not as good same generation 400D or the current 450D. Which is a much better camera, and will allow for more growth the the 350D. But is hamper by the 1600 iso also.

What else do you like to shoot beside UW photos. That will determine weather the 350D is a good fit for your needs.

If the lens is the ef-s 18-55mm IS lens, it is a very sharp lens. It is the same one that comes on the 500D kit. The tamron is a okay lens, but it does not have IS, so if you are shooting without a flash, camera shake can be a issue, especially at the long end of the zoom.

But it is a pretty good deal with what you are getting. It will be a good beginners dslr until you are ready to upgrade to a higher end dslr.

If you do get this camera and decide on a wider angle lens, just remember you are investing in a system. Bodies can go, but lenses last allot longer and have a long life. All the Eos compatible lenses will fit on any future eos you may get except ef-s lenses will not fit on a full frame camera like the 5D MK II. But that alone is a 2500 euro body.

Last edited:
I finally came to a decision (about time too!)
It pained me to spend another 1000€ on a housing for my compact, when I knew I would eventually 'evolve' into a dSLR.
So I am going to spend that money, and a bit more, on a Nikon D90 and some lenses (I'd like some advice for that too but on another thread I'll be opening) and keep shooting UW with the Canon G10 camera/housing I have now. I hope in the Summer I'll be able to afford a decent housing for the D90 (and that'll be again another thread).
Once again, that you all.

Hi jbaptis,

Sounds like a good call, the fact that a dSLR UW housing will cost much more than the camera itself (and that's before adding in strobes, ports and other accessories) will mean that although the camera itself is still a lot of money, it's a much smaller proportion of the total cost - hence worth investing a bit more to get something which will be more upto date and likely to give better results.

Karl

PS - For when you're ready to move on I'd strongly suggest going for a Hugyfot housing, I have one for a 50D and have been really impressed by it - Hugyfot Underwater Camera Housings

The hugycheck system gives you a lot more confidence about flooding as you can effectively check the housing seal at depth while still on land, not to mention the ergonomics feel great. It's a higher end cost housing but not as expensive as others.

I finally came to a decision (about time too!)
It pained me to spend another 1000€ on a housing for my compact, when I knew I would eventually 'evolve' into a dSLR.
So I am going to spend that money, and a bit more, on a Nikon D90 and some lenses (I'd like some advice for that too but on another thread I'll be opening) and keep shooting UW with the Canon G10 camera/housing I have now. I hope in the Summer I'll be able to afford a decent housing for the D90 (and that'll be again another thread).
Once again, that you all.

The D90 is an excellent, it is smaller then the 50D. You may want to hold off on your dslr purchase for couple of more weeks, Canon will be announcing a replacement to teh 50D, rumor say the 60D will be displayed at the PMA show in Feb. If ture, the 50D will drop in price greatly. There has been no rumors on the nikon's yet. There may be new nikon dslr's coming out, and it may cause the price of the D90 to drop.

You may want to hold off on your dslr purchase for couple of more weeks. There may be new nikon dslr's coming out, and it may cause the price of the D90 to drop.
Now this is what I call excellent advice!:D
But it will be like keeping a kid from opening up the presents at Christmas :no: waiting one month!:losecool:

The hugycheck system gives you a lot more confidence about flooding as you can effectively check the housing seal at depth while still on land, not to mention the ergonomics feel great. It's a higher end cost housing but not as expensive as others.

Hi Karl,
I checked the Hugyfot site and was very impressed with this system, pressure valves and all. I'm seriously considering one of these housings. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom