Canon vs Nikon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If money is a concern, with a G10 you can get excellent photos in optimal conditions. Just keep using it and learn the art side of photography (underwater or above). As has been mentioned several times these advanced compacts can really do well. They allow you many of the features that used to set SLRs apart from compacts and are more reasonably priced (especially with underwater accessories). Until you come up against some aspect of a G10 that is really limiting your photos, you don't need a dSLR. There are several users here on SB that show just how far a G10 can be pushed. If you don't need ultra-wide or super-telephoto lenses, near zero shutter lag, or 10 frames a second, the G10 will serve you just fine.

Best way to improve is to just shoot. Go out and find something to take photos of and think about many ways to take photos of the same object. If you're stuck in a rut and can't think of anything to do, look for some photo groups on flickr that do weekly assignments or challenges. Someone picks a topic each week and everyone comes up with their own photos for that topic. It's a great way to practice taking photos and seeing what others think of for the same theme. An example I sometimes do is Flickr: MACRO MONDAYS (please check weekly theme) . This group has a new macro topic each week. I find it forces me to be more creative by coming up with new ways to shoot sometimes mundane items. This then transfers over to my other, more serious, photography endeavors.

If you really want to experiment with a dSLR on land, consider buying a used one that is a few years old. The dSLRs loose their value quickly, so you may find an older one to play with for a very modest price.

Last edited:
The body loses value, the lenses do not drop that much. Especially higher end lenses.

You may also want to check out steve's digicams forums. They have a critique secton where you post and you get feedback on likes and dislikes. Also you can check out the newer trends in the photography world like HDR.

You have a great camera in the G10, I am pretty sure you are no where near using all of it's ability in the UW world. Or even in the top side world.

If you have interest in shooting in low light or action shot. The DSLR has a clear advantage over the G10. If you like macro shooting you may want a true 1:1 macro lens and tripod. If you take photos of large objects or architecture then you may want the ability to have specialized WA lenses that opens to say 12mm or even 10mm. But in usual shooting with good light. The G10 does very well.

But that is really go advice from M_Bipartitus, it is the best thing you can do to improve and learn more on the craft of photography not just the equipment. Go out and shoot and enlist creative feedback. And have a tough skin, not everyone likes the same things.

Dear Mariozi and shoturtle,
I initially thought I would see Nikon and Canon fans at each others’ throats with my post, but never anticipated this type of discussion.:wink:
Nevertheless, I think my mind is pretty much made up. I went to four different local photography stores (and two specifically UW) to get an idea of the prices for the lenses advised here in the various posts, and…
Whoa!! The whole thing will easily escalate to 5.000 Euros (with a decent housing and the second strobe I will need, sooner than later). Ouch! At this stage of my progress, I’d rather spend that kind of money diving in different kinds of UW paradises.
On the other hand,

Dear Maddog59,
I’ve noticed in your signature that even with all your experience in diving and UWPhotography you just have the equipment I was originally aiming at (Canon G10, Patima Housing, 2 x Inon Z240-4 Strobes with sync cable) and of which I am only missing the second strobe, the sync cables and the Patima.
Now that’s a lot less money and a lot of freedom of choice while UW.

I believe this is not the end of it, since I really want to improve my photographer skills (btw, I am also of the CMAS school and I think I had an excellent instructor) including topside and naturally I will upgrade to DSLR, but not just yet.

I can’t thank you guys enough for your interest and help.

Even though I own canons for years, and part of the reason is the lenses I have acquired over that time. I have recommend a Pentax K-x to my brother as his first dslr, and the e620 to others base on their needs and budgets. As they are excellent dslr that fit their shooting need.

I do not recommend getting something like the D90 or 50D for your first DSLR. The 500D/T1i would be much less, with the kit with 2 kit lenses and the lens I suggest, it would be about 1500 euro, not 5000 euros. And with the underwater housing, it is about 2500 euros.

But if you are not shooting in low light or action topside, the plan to stick with the G10 is a very sound one. It is a great camera.

But i do recommend getting a good editing program for your computer. It can do allot to correct and adjust the photo. Photoshop lightloom or if you are a mac user apple aperture.

PS

If you take a trip to the states, you may want to consider getting a dslr here instead. With the exchange rate, and generally low price on Camera gear. You will get a much better deal. Look at the going prices for the t1i/500D at shop in NYC, adorama and BHphoto

Best way to improve is to just shoot. Go out and find something to take photos of and think about many ways to take photos of the same object. If you're stuck in a rut and can't think of anything to do, look for some photo groups on flickr that do weekly assignments or challenges. Someone picks a topic each week and everyone comes up with their own photos for that topic. It's a great way to practice taking photos and seeing what others think of for the same theme. An example I sometimes do is Flickr: MACRO MONDAYS (please check weekly theme) . This group has a new macro topic each week. I find it forces me to be more creative by coming up with new ways to shoot sometimes mundane items. This them transfers over to my other, more serious, photography endeavors.

If you really want to experiment with a dSLR on land, consider buying a used one that is a few years old. The dSLRs loose their value quickly, so you may find an older one to play with for a very modest price.

Thanks for these advices, I’ll look into it.

Go out and shoot and enlist creative feedback. And have a tough skin, not everyone likes the same things.

My skin’s tough enough, I don’t take myself that seriously on the subject of photography (yet, eheheh!)

But i do recommend getting a good editing program for your computer. It can do allot to correct and adjust the photo. Photoshop lightloom or if you are a mac user apple aperture.

I have the Adobe Photoshop CS4 ( but I’m still learning how to use it though).

PS

If you take a trip to the states, you may want to consider getting a dslr here instead. With the exchange rate, and generally low price on Camera gear. You will get a much better deal. Look at the going prices for the t1i/500D at shop in NYC, adorama and BHphoto

I looked at a couple of sites you mentioned and you’re right, if I buy enough stuff, it practically pays for the trip to the US. Now that’s an idea!:D

My skin’s tough enough, I don’t take myself that seriously on the subject of photography (yet, eheheh!)

I looked at a couple of sites you mentioned and you’re right, if I buy enough stuff, it practically pays for the trip to the US. Now that’s an idea!:D

You may also consider a trip to singapore or hong kong, you may get to dive and get a deal on a camera package also. :wink:

There is alway nice diving down in florida, and you can fit in a dive if you come to the US.

either way you get to do two things for the price of one. :wink:

Then you should know that there is a bit more to a dslr stuff to know about a dslr then to a bridge camera and a bridge camera over a point and shoot. If not all you are doing is giving a sale pitch that I see sales guys at stores give would be buyers of dslr saying they will get better pictures if they get the better camera right away. You can learn a dslr in about a month if you have a good book. a bridge camera is about 2 week, and a p&s is a no brainer.

That's where we disagree,

I think the "bit more to learn" is really small when you compare an advanced compact like the G11.

The time to learn them if you take a good course is exactly the same for uwphoto. But no book will get you through that fast.

So, yes you can get good images with a DSLR right away, provided you get a good course. I have seen it happen, people who never had any topside photography interest getting good pics on first dive with a DSLR, with a course that takes the same time as a compact one. You might don't believe, and call it "sales pitch, but it is true", but Maybe I should put a student's gallery on my site...

"But answer my question, will the G11 in an indoor basketball game perform like the D300. Yes or No. It a simple question.

A G11 will never perform like a D300, not even on a daylight outdoor game.
Shutter lag alone prevents it to.
Not even on a well lit ambient light portrait. Lack of DoF prevents it to.

You might see pictures that show the same result. But the productivity taken to get that image was different, and that's a big deal. The DSLR guy probably got this "same" shot much easier.

That's where we disagree,

I think the "bit more to learn" is really small when you compare an advanced compact like the G11.

The time to learn them if you take a good course is exactly the same for uwphoto. But no book will get you through that fast.

So, yes you can get good images with a DSLR right away, provided you get a good course. I have seen it happen, people who never had any topside photography interest getting good pics on first dive with a DSLR, with a course that takes the same time as a compact one. You might don't believe, and call it "sales pitch, but it is true", but Maybe I should put a student's gallery on my site...

A G11 will never perform like a D300, not even on a daylight outdoor game.
Shutter lag alone prevents it to.
Not even on a well lit ambient light portrait. Lack of DoF prevents it to.

You might see pictures that show the same result. But the productivity taken to get that image was different, and that's a big deal. The DSLR guy probably got this "same" shot much easier.

Yes I agree, that taking class it will help people learn much quicker. No denying that. But the learning how to operate the functions is one thing, putting them into uses is where it become a skill craft and not just snap shots. I recommended to my brother to take a class in the spring to learn more about photography. It is a good idea, also I have shown him allot about the features on his new K-x. And now it is up to him to go out and shoot photos, and practice on those features. :D

Hope you do not mind. I ran your fish shot through a 1 click enhancement. It brighten up the shot and you can see more details. Photoshop is well worth spending the time to learn. :wink:

Attachments

• Fish2.jpg
    Fish2.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 50
  • Fish.jpg
    Fish.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 53
Of course I don't mind, that's why I posted it here, so I could learn from others! I can see what you mean. Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom