Canon S95 v Oly ZX-1 vs ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the Inon UWL 100 and the inon UCl 165, so when I get my housing at the end of next week I will let you know how both lenses work underwater.

I for one would love to hear about how the UWL100 works out. Are there no other reasonable options for WA with the ZX-1? I'd hate to have to shell out 800+ for the lens and dome.

Well, I guess that settles it...

Actually, i own an S90, a G10, a Pany LX-5, a GH-1 and a Canon 50D. (and a bunch of older stuff).

I don't like the S90 (and now the S95). Yes, the S series has a short travel lens... so does the LX-5 by the way.

Don't know what the Oly has (will have mine in two weeks), but that will be fairly important for wide angle lens to work. We have at least one board member, will ask him.

I know Nemrod likes wide angle images... if that is what one likes, would suggest a PEN, their housing and a dome...best price I know for a wide angle setup.

If you plan on doing a variety of images, and video, then the oly seems to be far more flexable.

The case is made like the Pen case, and that case seems to be well made, at a price much lower than any of the really nice S95 cases. The fact that it has a threaded front is a huge plus.

The oly has a better, more usable lens, it does video tremendously better, it does macro better. And from the few reports I have read, focuses faster.

Resolution is about a draw between the two camera's, but the low light (first because of the lens and second because of the sensor) looks a great deal better with the oly. There is a site showing iso 1600 images that actually look good with it.

I like the free software that comes with the canon, and don't know what you get with the oly.. so that may be a plus or minus.

Here is my take on it... our shop is now an oly dealer, because after reading all the reviews, looking at the price, I believe this camera is the current best price/perforance package one can buy. As a long time Canon user, this is a big jump for me. It will be the only package we will stock, and the one I will teach with...just my point of view.

I am not a fan of Canon OEM housings, I think the Oly housing is a better unit but neither are in the same league with either the FIX or Recsea products. The housing is at least as important as the camera in an underwater system. In fact, some would say it is more important. It must interface the camera with the user (you) and with the photo environment and to do that it must support lenses, strobes, brackets, handles etc. Here is where the plastic Oly and Canon housings are likely to disappoint, neither have the critical rear dial control for example and the lens choice is likely very limited.

You say you want to use the Fisheye UWL-04 lens with the Oly?, Where did you read that to be a functioning pairing? I have serious doubts that the UWL-04 will work with the XZ-1 and you should know that the native thread on the UWL-04 is 52mm and the Oly XZ-1 housing is 67mm. This will require a step down adapter which comes with the lens but also positions the lens well forward of it's optimal position. My estimation based on what little I have gathered about the XZ-1 and it's matching housing is that it will be required to zoom to approximately 35 to 45mm to eliminate vignetting whereas that UWL-04 lens requires no zooming with the Canon S series in the FIX or Recsea housings.

The Canon DC-34 housing will support the new Inon H series lens which also has an optional dome unit. I don't know of any lens that will work with the XZ-1 though I suspect, as a educated guess, the Inon WAL100-67mm will work just fine with the camera zoomed to 35mm.

This all assumes the Oly has a "compact" lens like the S series Canons. The Canon lens racks rearward from 28mm to approximately 50mm where it then racks forward to full zoom. This keeps the lens travel very small and allows close positioning of the port and lens, great for accessory lenses and it is why the Canon works so well with these lenses. If the Oly lens is of the type that continuously racks forward as it is zoomed, that is bad for use of wide angle lenses because it will require a very long housing port.

Lets look at this, why buy an Oly over the S series Canon, frankly, there is no good reason if you intend to use accessory lenses and are willing to spend the money to get a solid and versatile FIX/Recsea housing. Yes, the XZ-1 has a very slightly larger sensor, I would say that is insignificant:

300px-Sensor_sizes_overlaid_insidesvg.png

The Oly is 1/1.6 and the Canon is 1/1.7, big difference huh? Like two ants fighting over a crumb, who cares. Unfortunately for Canon haters, the S90 and S95 are a rare thing for underwater photographers in that they have a small zoom range, compact lens design and short rack distance, small lens diameter and generally the housings have very short ports that allow them to use a wide variety of accessory lenses effectively, wide angle and macro. That is why they are so popular. To avoid a camera/system because it is popular is to ignore why it is popular to begin with--because it works. These things are not yet known/proven with the XZ-1.

N

Well, I guess that settles it...

OK.

Actually, i own an S90, a G10, a Pany LX-5, a GH-1 and a Canon 50D. (and a bunch of older stuff).

I don't like the S90 (and now the S95). Yes, the S series has a short travel lens... so does the LX-5 by the way.

The thread concerns the S vs the ZX. The LX-5, what lenses and housings support this camera that are widely and easily available? The 24mm lens is a poor choice for underwater use through a flat port and does not interface well with wet lenses.

Don't know what the Oly has (will have mine in two weeks), but that will be fairly important for wide angle lens to work. We have at least one board member, will ask him.

I know Nemrod likes wide angle images... if that is what one likes, would suggest a PEN, their housing and a dome...best price I know for a wide angle setup.

If you plan on doing a variety of images, and video, then the oly seems to be far more flexable.

Have to disagree, we don't know yet if the ZX-1 can even utilize accessory lenses and the housing lacks the rear control dial, macro flash is not available and as to the PEN the first generation was nearly as large as the dSLR outfits and there again, the same can be said regarding the ZX-1, just get a PEN. The housing for the ZX-1 is plastic, has only one light duty mount on the bottom which is very likely to sheer off when the housing is loaded with a heavy lens or accessory. I would consider the Sony NEX over the PEN with an Aquatica housing or similar. The PEN seems to currently only support approximately 100 degree DFOV, not wide enough really.

The case is made like the Pen case, and that case seems to be well made, at a price much lower than any of the really nice S95 cases. The fact that it has a threaded front is a huge plus.

The oly has a better, more usable lens, it does video tremendously better, it does macro better. And from the few reports I have read, focuses faster.

Right now, as to the lens being more usable, how so? We don't know if it will interface with accessory lenses, which ones or how well? The camera seems to have good specs but at this time it is largely talk and I suspect very few people could tell which camera took what photo.

Here is my take on it... our shop is now an oly dealer, because after reading all the reviews, looking at the price, I believe this camera is the current best price/perforance package one can buy. As a long time Canon user, this is a big jump for me. It will be the only package we will stock, and the one I will teach with...just my point of view.

I don't see how you can say something you have never used is better or best and I do not see any "big" jump in regards this camera and pretty typical light duty OEM wet case? It may be and I hope it is, it would be great to have two great offerings in this class of camera but the facts are right now:

1. The Oly housing is plastic with only one mount on the bottom that looks very weak.
2. The 67mm port may not be adaptable to anything but 67mm lenses and even there it is currently unknown as to their usefulness with this camera/housing. Assuming the Inon WAL100 series lenses are usable, to get wide angle the dome is needed which means it is very heavy and very expensive, over 800 dollars
3. No rear dial control is a killer bummer. That control is needed for full Manual control interface sans buttons, that is a no-go IMO.
4. Other than OEM housings, accessories are unknown if any.
5. Macro mode with flash?

We just don't know yet. I don't say I don't like this camera or that camera, I just like some better than others and until I have seen these new Olys actually used with macro and wide angle lenses, strobes, trays and the other components of a useful and versatile underwater system I will refrain from proclaiming it best, better, more versatile, best bet etc. I have no vested interest or stock in either, what will be will be and it ain't yet.

N

OK.

The thread concerns the S vs the ZX. The LX-5, what lenses and housings support this camera that are widely and easily available? The 24mm lens is a poor choice for underwater use through a flat port and does not interface well with wet lenses.

Have to disagree, we don't know yet if the ZX-1 can even utilize accessory lenses and the housing lacks the rear control dial, macro flash is not available and as to the PEN the first generation was nearly as large as the dSLR outfits and there again, the same can be said regarding the ZX-1, just get a PEN. The housing for the ZX-1 is plastic, has only one light duty mount on the bottom which is very likely to sheer off when the housing is loaded with a heavy lens or accessory. I would consider the Sony NEX over the PEN with an Aquatica housing or similar. The PEN seems to currently only support approximately 100 degree DFOV, not wide enough really.

Right now, as to the lens being more usable, how so? We don't know if it will interface with accessory lenses, which ones or how well? The camera seems to have good specs but at this time it is largely talk and I suspect very few people could tell which camera took what photo.

I don't see how you can say something you have never used is better or best and I do not see any "big" jump in regards this camera and pretty typical light duty OEM wet case? It may be and I hope it is, it would be great to have two great offerings in this class of camera but the facts are right now:

1. The Oly housing is plastic with only one mount on the bottom that looks very weak.
2. The 67mm port may not be adaptable to anything but 67mm lenses and even there it is currently unknown as to their usefulness with this camera/housing. Assuming the Inon WAL100 series lenses are usable, to get wide angle the dome is needed which means it is very heavy and very expensive, over 800 dollars
3. No rear dial control is a killer bummer. That control is needed for full Manual control interface sans buttons, that is a no-go IMO.
4. Other than OEM housings, accessories are unknown if any.
5. Macro mode with flash?

We just don't know yet. I don't say I don't like this camera or that camera, I just like some better than others and until I have seen these new Olys actually used with macro and wide angle lenses, strobes, trays and the other components of a useful and versatile underwater system I will refrain from proclaiming it best, better, more versatile, best bet etc. I have no vested interest or stock in either, what will be will be and it ain't yet.

N

XZ-1 and not ZX-1.
The flash works in macro, not super macro.
The rear dial will work just fine. You can't "scroll" with the wheel but using the up down left right buttons inside the wheel will do the exact same thing.

I need help keeping my budget in check. My typical thought cycle goes like, I should just pay the money and get a better P&S housing. A Recsea S95 housing at $800 only requires I increase my budget $600. But at $1,200 for P&S camera and housing, why don't I just get an Oly EPL2 camera and factory housing for $1,300, I'll get a snappier shutter and much bigger sensor. I know dome ports and wide lenses will double that cost, but it will be a much better system! But thats still a plastic housing, I could get an Aquatica Sony NEX5 housing for $1,400 without camera. But then why don't I just buy an Ikelite housing for my existing Canon 500D for that much money, then i'd just need to get a true wide lens and some ports. But add some strobes and now i'm at double my original $2,000 budget and I know i'll just flood a DSLR, so why don't I just get an Oly 8010 waterproof camera and housing. That will be much cheaper and it will last me forever. There's no good wet lenses for the Oly 8010 and it doesn't shoot raw, better get an S95 and factory housing with Inon LD mount adaptor. Well, thats a pretty crappy housing to mount any good wet lenses tand strobes to. Better get a Recsea S95 housing if i'm going to use wet lenses...

Back
Top Bottom