Canon Housing Buoyancy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The housing and camera weigh about 610g

According to my spiffy crock pot, the housing displaces .407L

So the damn thing is negatively bouyant.

Who'd athunk it?

Peter
(who is apparently measurement challenged.)

I would not bother about the metal displacement - the weight is enough.

Peter,
I've had it banging off my head so I think I am going to have to check the calcs. (bit un-American using metric isnt it?) :)

Here are my calcs:

Radius = 0.427083333 ft
h2-h1 = 0.041666667 ft
Displacement = 0.023876127 cu ft
Density SW = 64 lb/cuft
Housing Buoyancy = 1.528072121 lb
Weight = 1.344819799 lb
Net Buoyancy = 0.183252322 lb
Net Buoyancy = 2.932037149 oz

Scuse all the decimals - Excel paste.

So I make it three ounces buoyant.

That works pretty well with a 2.4 oz bolt snap.

(my measured displacement was 0.676 liters)

>>2. Immerse in water (saucepan) and measure displacement volume (Pi*r^2*h2-h1)<<

My flatmate would know I had finally lost the plot if she caught me in the kitchen trying to do this :bonk:

Hmmm my s30 bouyancy never really bothered me. probably because I keep it on my wrist all the time. I imagine it would be annoying if I had it bungeed to my BC (which is what I plan on doing).

I keep it on my wrist too.

It constantly bops me in the face when my arms are forward for trim.

I hate to clip it off. I am always scared that I'll 'drop' it.

Peter

taken the housing deeper than 100ft/30m? i have been faced with the dilemma of going on a dive that's partly below 100ft but otherwise has plenty of photo opportunities within the 100ft range. in these cases i was thinking of clipping the camera to my reel and floating it so that it stays above 100ft. does that sound completely ridiculous? do you see any danger in doing this when it is an overhead free environment? of course it would need to be buoyant to do this.

:doctor:

I would suggest that you check out one of these little beauties: http://www.innovativescuba.com/

I personally use one of the Snappy Coils, and though it does not create neutral buoyancy for my S40, it does help! The other thing that I like, I connect the snap to my BC and the camera is then always attached to me...so if I want to let go of it to play with some form of the local marine life, I can just release it, or attach the secondary snap so that it is snug and streamlined to my body! :froggy:

Hope this helps!?¿¡

Note: I will be posting some pics from my dive-trip last week shortly.

Of the housing being taken down to 130ft without leaking.

Eventually, the buttons stop working, the pressure keeps them pushed in. The housing didn't leak.

Peter

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom