Canon G9 in Bora Bora last week....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My G9 has been pestering me to take her to Bora Bora !

Awesome pics!

Those are great photos. I also have recently purchased a G9, but have not been able to get it wet yet. Do you mine sharing your camera settings that you used?

Sure :)
I believe most of the time it was on AV, ISO at either 100 or 200 (200 in deeper water, or for further away)
I tried some custom color balances, and even tried to CC the flash, but that was a failure, so I stuck to shooting on either the daylight setting or the built-in UW setting (the fish icon) which warm things up a bit, and didn't seem the "redden" the objects lit by the strobe.
At first I couldn't fire the YS external strobe head with the slave, so I used the fiber optic cable, and rigged it to the Canon flash diffuser, then it always seemed to fire. I had the external strobe set to around 1/2 power, and straight w/o the diffuser.
External head about 6-7 inches above lens.

Nope, no issues with the housing. During one dive I saw a small amount of fogging in one small area near the lens barrel area, but stayed intact and didn't spread.
I always added 2 small moisture munchers inside the housing.

Hope this helps...
Thank you everyone for the kind words...

bora0351-web.jpg

Nice photos! Just got my G9 with Canon housing last week and will get it wet in Mozambique in 6 weeks time!

Sure :)

At first I couldn't fire the YS external strobe head with the slave, so I used the fiber optic cable, and rigged it to the Canon flash diffuser, then it always seemed to fire. I had the external strobe set to around 1/2 power, and straight w/o the diffuser.
External head about 6-7 inches above lens.

bora0351-web.jpg

Great photos!!!

Any chance you can tell me which fibre optic cable you used? I've got a YS-60 and was thinking of a Heinrichs Weikamp digital adapter, but fibre optic, if it works, would be even better.

Alex

How are the controls accessibility on the Canon housing ?

The dials on the Canon housing are a pain in the butt to turn with 5.4 mm gloves. The buttons are easy to access. It doesn't leak, but it takes a lot of weight (that Canon sells at an extra cost) to sink the housing so it wont get tangled in your reg.

Nathan

Great shots!!! I just got my G9 and canon housing a couple weeks ago. Will get it wet mid May in Palua, and i can't wait. Still trying to decide which strobe to get. How much weight will my set up require? I have used the camera to shoot land pics in Sedona AZ and Grand Canyon, needless to say they were awsome and i'm so happy with this camera!

Nice shots in deed
I had a G7 and switched for the new G9 for the RAW format that the G7 lacked. I used my previous G7 in Cozumel 5 months ago and my shots did't look nearly as good as yours. I used the Canon housing by the way up to 98 ft.
With the new G9 I also bought the Ikelite housing and the 125 sub strobe I plan to use next month also in Cozumel...

Hey Eric, share the settings

Really good photo's Eric. Looks like from the Shark photo they still use the same hand line and jugs for the snorklers to hold onto. Make me yearn to return!!!!

Back
Top Bottom