Canon G9 and /or GoPro for trip to Komodo.....?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rcaqua

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,

New to the forum, hope I am posting at the right place...

I am an experienced (110 dives) diver, very careful with buoyancy etc., and have been taking underwater photography for a few years, first with an old very compact Sony T1 and now with a Canon G9 equipped with a DS 51 strobe and Ultra wide angle external lens.

I will be travelling to Indonesia to dive Komodo
icon_biggrin.gif
for 6 days (liveaboard), would like to shoot some video and I am wondering whether I should:
- Use the Canon G 9 for video, adding some form of additional light (which?)
- Purchase a GoPro Hero 3 (silver or black?) and light (which?)

Can anyone advise as to what would be the best choice, and / or whether I can use both cameras on the same dive without going completely crazy...

Many thanks for any advice!

Best,

Rene

What is the ultra wide angle you have??
Just checked the G9 has vga video you really don't want to waste time with that
however for picture the G9 is good as in komodo there is plenty of macro

Last edited:
Hi Interceptor: many thanks for the definitive info re G9 video capability (not!). Looks like I will have to drag both to Komodo and switch aroudn depending on the dive.... Any advice on lighting for the Go Pro?
RA

Best option is to mount the gopro on the same tray of your g9 then use the gopro for wide angle video and the g9 for macro photo
You just need a filter for the gopro no lights at this stage but you will need a strobe for the g9

I am using a G9 and I bought a Hero2 for video. Very light and nice set up. Forgot the video with the G9. In comparison with the Gopro, the quality is poor and the angle too narrow.

Hi guys,

Many thanks for the patient feedback. It looks as though I will haev to toggle between the two setups and hope for the best.

I have a strobe (DS51) for the G9, no issues there.

Do all agree with interceptor that I do not need lighting for the Go Pro at this stage?

RA

Komodo has got no wreck or caves and at the right time of year has got good ambient light if you can get your gopro on the same tray you will not loose any opportunity as dives have mix of ambient and macro

Hi Interceptor,

If I understand correctly you are suggesting I should have both the GoPro and the G9 on the same tray at the same time....??

Excellent! Will get the GoPro next time I am in the US.

Any suggestions on silver vs. black version....?

RA

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom