Canon G12..?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I noticed today that Canon has the G12 users manual posted to their website.

Also, I ordered the G12 online. I wish I had this last Tuesday when me and 11 other divers spent 6 minutes on the USS Emmons.

I own a Canon G11 and a Fisheye FIX housing. I just went to Best Buy and tried to fit the Canon G12 into the G11 housing, and the main mode/iso knob does not line up by less than a millimeter (and of course the new dial on the front of the G12 handle is inaccessible--but its functionality can easily be disabled in the menus). I am guessing there is a minor clearance issue on the upper right forward corner (and I'm not willing to grind it with a dremmel!). Bummer. The HD video and improved macro stabilization were the two triggers for me to consider the upgrade. The camera and housing have performed fantastically under water and on land.

I just dropped my new G12 into the Canon housing. It looks like everything in functional with the exception of the new front wheel. No big deal.
I would call in sick to work tomorrow, if we did not have this Typhoon bearing down on us.

I have a Canon A520 and looking to step up. One pet peeve on P&S cameras is the shutter lag. How is the shutter lag on the G12? Still slower than a DSLR?

Back from my trip to the Maldives. Wow absolutely amazing and we got lucky with the Whale Sharks. The Canon G12 worked a treat as did the housing. Would love to post a link to my website but I dont think I am allowed?
Maldives Whale Shark with the Canon G12 : Jason Chambers Photography

Will try anyway with the above.
Photography-Underwater-Padi-Course.jpg

Jason:)

Fantastic pics! Wish I could get my G11 to work as well. Care to share your settings and strobe setup??

It would appear at this time that Canon will not make a separate housing for the G12.

Backscatter.com is advertising the Canon WP-DC34 housing for either the G11 or G12. Amazon.com states the same and so does the Canon website if you click on "compatibility" on this Canon Link

If this is the situation then the housing will not allow for use of the dial on the front of the G12. Functions that the front dial are capable of doing will have to be made in the same manner as pushing buttons on the G10 and G11 to compensate for no dial on the rear as well.

Perhaps Canon is satisfied with that and sees no need to make another housing just to add the front dial control?

I'm a G10 Canon housing button pusher (before the camera died) :crying:

LOVE that whale shark pic; a full body pic with color & a good head shot, all in one. You got something there a lot of people would love to have. Congrat.s!

Richard.

I have a Canon A520 and looking to step up. One pet peeve on P&S cameras is the shutter lag. How is the shutter lag on the G12? Still slower than a DSLR?

I don't own a G12, but I've played with a friends quite a bit and I've never noticed a shutter lag on it. I'd say it's right on par with my DSLR as to lack of a shutter lag.

If you like the small size of a P&S and are looking to upgrade but want a semi-pro quality & manual control, lack of shutter lag, etc - check out the S-90/-95's also. I was going to buy a G12, but really wanted a true pocket size to compliment my DSLR. Once the S-90 came out I was sold. Size is perfect for a pocket, function is right up there with the G series and quality (IMO) is superb. I've owned it about a year and love it as much today as the day I unboxed it.

Back
Top Bottom