Canon G12 v. S100

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just finished reading through this thread, please forgive my ignorance I am new to all of this, but I noticed where it sais the s100 will not accept an external flash. Does this mean you cannot use externals strobes?

Thanks

S9--It's a topside issue only. The S-100 doesn't have a hot shoe, the G-12 does. UW you simply use a fiber optic connection to fire an external strobe on either camera. // ww

G12 has a wide angle wet lens you can attach to the Canon housing

i just picked up a G12 (canon housing on the way from B&H) to play with...probably pair it up with an S2000.

The perfect post for what i was looking for. Thanks for all that contributed. I am looking for a camera specific to underwater shooting. It will more than likely never see surface shooting. I am a macro freak, but every once in awhile I would like a WA shot. From reading countless stats and reviews, talking with folks that actually own the cameras, and pouring over MANY videos and photos with both. I think the S100 wins the edge for my personal interests. For the casual underwater photograper, I would think either will work just fine. The main deciding factors for me were: user friendly, portability, growth ability (able for a novice to grasp but able to satisfy a more adept amature), the amount of manual capability, and overall versatility of the camera for the underwater environment I just need to decide on a case and read how I can dual mount a Sola 500 & 800 onto it. I also need to look into strobe possibilities. Thanks again for all the good info :)

So why not consider the new Sony RX100? Might get a good deal from Japan.

---------- Post Merged at 11:12 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:10 AM ----------

S9--It's a topside issue only. The S-100 doesn't have a hot shoe, the G-12 does. UW you simply use a fiber optic connection to fire an external strobe on either camera. // ww
Don't need fibre optic if you use something like the Inon S2000 it will detect the preflash on the camera if use the transparent case

Can't get English menus on sony and Panasonic on JDM cameras

I went to play with the s100 last week and found that the battery only gave 1/2 the number of shots that the G12 offered. I want to like the smaller form factor of the s100 but I am often running low or out of power with my g10 (which has an great battery IMHO) after the second dive on a good reef - that is likely going to be a deal breaker for the s100. Or I will have to be far less trigger happy!

It would be helpfull if the s100 and the g12 have better battery monitors than the g10 - which tells me that I have a full and happy battery until 10 shots before its' dead. A better battery monitor would allow me to manage my trigger finger more apropriately.

I am not doing multiple dives or anything, but I have not had a problem with battery with S100. May run into it if I was doing two or three dives. I have an extra battery and usually have time to dry and swap battery between dives. But I know this is not always convenient. I did, as recommended by others, disable the GPS feature as this is a considerable drain on the battery if left on. I don't think the G 12 has GPS?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom