Canon G12 v. S100

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, mjh, you say "IMHO where people faultier is skimping on lighting. More is better, two are better than one. Lighting can make a much bigger difference in the quality of your pixels than the metal or plastic box you put your capable Sony, Nikon, Panasonic, Canon, Olympus.....in."

So you would probably tell me to keep the G10 that I am currently well practiced with, and buy a stobe, or two, or three... as I've never had a flood with my Canon housing (well one little one due to a single fine hair) - that would be your advise? Damn, more freaking equiptment in our already buldging luggage. I really wish there was some kind of micro-strobe for travelling with. Also I would really like less in the water with me, not more. But you probably are right, that the problems I have with slow focus in close macro work are due to low light and no focus beam.

I supose the s100's smaller package would mitigate the extra bulk of a strobe, but I have become quite fond of the G series form factor, it seems very 'right' in my hands on the surface and I am loath to give that up. Sadly the GX1 seems just a tad too big to travel with, but the case work is super grippy. Maybe get the s100 and bulk it up with duct tape...

Funny what you said about the class 10 card... the folks a Vistek here in Toronto (3 or 4 years ago and by all accounts a pro shop) told me that anything over a class 6 would be a waste in my Canon. They may have said video was more demanding, do you think a Class 10 is of use in stills AND video?

I am so grateful for this thread as I'm currently agonizing over this very decision! I tried out both cameras in person in a camera store and it seemed the G12 was able to take closer macro shots, though someone in this thread wisely pointed out the Canon housing has such a long lens barrel (not sure what else to call it) that it kind of makes it a moot point.

I'm still a little suspicious that the G12 has better image quality, but I think I'm going for the S100!

Not wanting to extend your agony, but it is nice to have the 1cm focus on the surface, for critters like teeny hermit crabs and flowers...

Macro seems a bit addictive to me, and looking at some of the crazy beautiful shots over at reefnet using the subsee lenses (others as well, I am sure), the native macro capability of the cameras seems limited in any case. There was the discussion about wet or dry add on lenses, the G12 uses dry, and the s100 wet - that interested me. I assume that with the wet lens, you can use the camera for your close up work and if a manta comes along you can pop off the macro wet lens and shoot some video. At least that is my assumption. There is probably a thread discussing that, which I will need to pour over as well.

To get good depth of field on the macro lenses I would guess that means lugging along a strobe or two (also to deal with that issue of the flash blind spot on the G12). Is the flash blind spot on the s100 less as the housing is shorter, or is that entirely a function of the case you choose?

EDIT, I just saw the PT-EP06L for olypus, I wonder where that idea will go, as led's are getting higher output all the time...

Last edited:
gummy, without a doubt adding strobes to a system you are comfortable with will, in the end, give you much better results than you have been getting. Lighting takes awhile to master and then becomes an area you play with to give you more "artistic" shots. The sad part is cameras have become the "disposable" part of the hobby where we keep good strobes, arms, clamps, etc., from system to system. A G10 with strobes will outshoot a G12 without anyday of the week*.

Again we all want the best camera/housing/strobe we can afford so it is great if you go to the store, handle them, work through the menus and see what feels natural to you. Then try to find a housing that gives you access to those features on the camera.

As to class 10 Cards, if you like to shoot video, long clips they are advised. I operate from the position if I can afford to I would rather have and not need than need and not have.

But again pick what you can afford, including lighting:wink: and get out and shoot!!!!!!!!

*yes in bright light, the right situation, with filters and a good shooter incredible results are possible.

Not wanting to extend your agony, but it is nice to have the 1cm focus on the surface, for critters like teeny hermit crabs and flowers...

I know, when I tested them in the store that almost sold it for me! But I reminded myself that I have a massive Canon SLR that I haul around the world for land-based photography, so there is really no sense in buying another camera for that purpose! If this was going to be my ONLY camera, I would definitely go for the G12 and housing. But as this is a secondary camera for me it makes sense to go with the smaller one, and it helps that it seems to be popular opinion that it functions better underwater!

As for these wet-mount lenses, do they go on Canon housings?

Inon LD lenses do and there are others as well. You have to buy an adapter that gives you a screw or bayonet mount that allows an attachment lens to be added. There are macro and wideangle lenses available.

Canon S100 -v- G11

Hi everyone,

Just been teaching today and bizarrely enough my two guests had a Canon S100 and the other a Canon G11.

I put them through some tests using just the camera's built-in flash and was impressed with both of them. What swung the S100 for me, (and even the user of the G11 is going to swap) is that the housing for the S100 is so much more compact than a housing for the G11 due to it's larger port. It was easier to also add on a wide-angle lens to the S100 and still keep the whole system small.

Hope that this helps a little bit ... both are fabulous systems ...

Wishing you the best of luck and look forward to hearing how you get on ...

maria Canon S100 Powershot Image by Cathryn Brown.jpgMimic by Carrie Gow.jpg

Hi everyone,

I put them through some tests using just the camera's built-in flash and was impressed with both of them. What swung the S100 for me, (and even the user of the G11 is going to swap) is that the housing for the S100 is so much more compact than a housing for the G11 due to it's larger port. It was easier to also add on a wide-angle lens to the S100 and still keep the whole system small.

Even with a Recsea/Fisheye housing the G12 only offers a fisheye lens as non removable port. (UWL04)

This effectively means not wet lenses for the Gx series and one of the reasons that I would not recommend that camera unless you only shoot macro

Maria,
My gallery photos, on this site, of Roatan were taken with the S100 in the Canon housing. The close ups were all taken with the built in flash. Had just got the camera and housing prior to the trip. I too was quite pleased with the results.

Hi Ivakdiver,

Thanks for these, so nice to see Roatan again, I had such a great time there years ago ... super love the hermit crab one, so cute ...

I'd love to get back to Ontario too, I have family in Waterloo ... hope to make it someday.

Have a great Sunday!

maria

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom