Canon G10 announced

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

under water

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
PowerShot G10 IS Digital Camera

$499 list

Features
dot_line_sm.gif

red_arrow.gif

14.7 Megapixel digital camera for the highest image quality.
red_arrow.gif

High powered 5x Optical Zoom with Optical Image Stabilizer plus a 28mm wide-angle lens gets you up close and personal to your subjects as well as captures more in your frame.
red_arrow.gif

New DIGIC 4 Image Processor improves Face Detection, adds Servo AF, Face Detection Self-Timer and Intelligent Contrast Correction for greater flexibility.

where is my 5D mkII??

How soon will Ikelite be making a housing? I'd also like to know if Inon is going to make an AD Mount Base.

How soon will Ikelite be making a housing? I'd also like to know if Inon is going to make an AD Mount Base.

G-10
Under consideration for a housing in the future. No information currently available.
Canon Camera Chart

That is from Ikelite's website. I am guessing with the popularity of the G9 that they will make it. I am sure the G10 has some very similar dimensions as the G9 judging from the pics.

The G10 will not work with Inon AD bayonet lenses. It will require the 28AD lenses or their 67mm thread on lenses (Type I or II, depending on the housing).

N

Early look here: Canon PowerShot G10: 15MP & 28mm wide: Digital Photography Review

Keep checking back - they'll do a complete review when they get their hands on one!

Hi,

Being a bit eager I accidentally posted this on the wrong thread. Here it is again with an additional question:

I have been looking very closely at the Canon Powershot G10 and the different housing and strobe options.
I am currently using a museum piece in terms of digital cameras. It is a 5MP Sony P10 with Sony housing, color filter and no strobe. I think anything I buy today will be a big step up. I am looking for a camera for underwater use that gives me more control and ok video. I am not willing to spend the money on an SLR (the Nikon D90 looks very attractive but it beyond my budget). The video is really a secondary concern. This is not really a land camera. I do most of my photograpy underwater.

My understanding of the various comments/assessments made by persons who have bought the G10 and used it on land (especially in comparison to the G9) are as follows:

Major Pros:
1. Well built/Good access to manual controls (almost like slr)
2. Wide angle improvement from G9 (now max is 28mm)
3. Acceptable telephoto zoom (optical 5x)
4. Great image quality in good lighting situations
5. Good auto focus and servo auto focus (tracking focus)
6. Nice big display

Major Cons:
1. A) Bad image quality in low light situations
1. B) Lots of image noise at higher iso due to high megapixel count and relatively small ccd sensor.
2. Slow RAW shooting when trying to take several shots in succession.
3. G10 RAW format not yet usable in Adobe Photoshop.
4. A step down in video quality from the G9

MY QUESTIONS:

Since the major gripe I seem to be reading is regarding shooting in low light conditions and high noise, and since shooting underwater is primarily a reduced light activity:

1. Should this be enough to turn me off this camera?

2. Can I compensate for this sufficiently with 1 strobe?
I definitely plan to use at least 1 strobe (fortunately I won a Fantasea Remora in their recent competition, woohoo!).

3. If the high low light noise is a result of the megapixel to sensor strength ratio, can I cheat this by bumping down the megapixel count on the photos for low light shots? (On my current camera I can choose how many MP's the camera I utilize). Is this "cheat" worthwhile, or does it acheive nothing?

Thank you in advance for your input,

Back
Top Bottom