Canon EOS T2i and Setting White Balance Underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Literally seconds? That process you listed above is at least 45 seconds to complete if you're good at it. I suppose this would work if your subject is a Scorpion Fish or something that doesn't really move much. Outside of that, you're going to miss a lot of shots setting WB manually.

I still fail to see how setting it in post is "bad." Again, it makes NO DIFFERENCE if you're shooting in RAW (and you should be). It's easier to set the WB in Lightroom if you can find a neutral gray in the shot and use the eyedropper but it really isn't necessary. I've used the sand on many occasions. It doesn't have to be a neutral gray to get it close. Brown will work. All you have to do is get it close and then tweak the sliders a little to get it where you like it.

Here's a video of a custom white balance with my MarkIII. I tried not to rush through it.

Just FYI, I can balance it faster underwater.

Custom WB - YouTube

In my (not so humble perhaps) opinion if you are only shooting stills (not video, for video the whole situation changes) shooting in raw and post processing is the way to go, at least for me. In lightroom at least setting the color temperature of the scene can be done any number of ways even if there is no white object in the scene. I shoot a 7D and so far haven't had any pictures that I care about where I can't get a good white balance in post since I think I understand the color temp of my strobe. For video, all bets are off since I have no clue about how video lights perform. In any case, getting close in the camera helps a bit, but not so much that I would take a white card with me.
Bill

---------- Post Merged at 05:43 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 05:42 PM ----------

I shot most of the black water stuff with a couple of strobes, fixed focus on the tamron 60 macro with 1.4 tele at 1/200th and f16 or so (if I remember). =
Bill

I would have to agree that shooting in RAW and adjusting in post is the way to go. By not doing this you are defeating the purpose of shooting in RAW altogether and negating the advantages that digital photography offers.

My philosophy on this is simple - Unless you are a dive professional (or are rich) and get to dive everyday with the same subjects why waste valuable bottom doing something that the camera can easily do in even the most basic post-processing programs. Use your time in water with your subjects wisely. Focus on composition, lighting (strobe position) and your subject and leave the white card at home.

Should you know how to create a custom white balance in camera, yeah I guess. Should you be stopping during your dive to create said WB in camera, I don't think so.

Well said. Besides, with the RAW file, setting the WB doesn't change what the camera saw or what got stored as the image. It just tags the image as being taken with "Cloudy" or "Sunlight" or whatever. The processing software (such as Lightroom) will see that tag and apply it to what you see on your monitor.

Besides, you should be editing all of your picks or keepers. Crop out the distractions. Dot out any backscatter. Adjust color, contrast, sharpness, etc. The goal here is to make create a interesting photo that people will want to see.

Back
Top Bottom