Canon A620 or Olympus SP-310?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TnT

Contributor
Reaction score
I intend to buy a digital camera with the corresponding underwater housing. At the moment I have no experience with any digital camera or underwater photography. After reading some reviews, there are 2 cameras which seems very attractive:

But is difficult to find information about those cameras for use underwater. So any advice would be greatly appreciated.

As someone who has been looking at this question for the last several months, I would add another camera to that mix (but it might be too $) - Canon S80.

My big question has been, what is more important to the "typical" ammi underwater photog -- RAW or Wide Angle?

If a Wide Angle Lens is deemed to be more important, I'd take a look at the S80.

I personally feel that RAW is more important and would not consider a camera that didn't shoot in RAW.

I might throw another contender into the mix....the Fuji E900. Ikelite is making a housing for it as I am sure Fuji will (I'd take the Ike even if it was 2X the $$$). Shoots RAW and has virtually NO shutter lag.

HTH,
Dave

The Canon A620 or Olympus SP-310 are already at the top of my budget. So the Canon S80 is certainly above it. And an Ikelite housing probably also. The camera is also not going to be used exclusively for use underwater.

I made a small list of pros and cons for each camera, but the final choice is still a difficult one.

Canon A620:
  • Pros
    • Secure Digital Card (fast & cheap)
    • Intuitive menu system
    • Flip-out & twist LCD screen
  • Cons
    • No RAW mode
Olympus SP-310:
  • Pros
    • RAW mode (but slow 10 second shot-to-shot time)
    • Underwater housing has more features (mount for lenses, LCD hood)
    • Large 2.5" LCD
  • Cons
    • xD-Picture Card (slow & expensive)

If the Canon had a RAW mode, I would certainly choose for that one.

Canon's WP-DC90 housing for A620 does come with an LCD hood, just an FYI.

And a diffuser plate for the flash, I personally would go for the A620 but that's just me :wink:.

I just bought an A620, but have yet to take it underwater. FWIW, the A620 does have a preset underwater white balance for both stills and video.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom