Canon 7D - Expensive and bulky, or an exceptional camera worth the effort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pjdavo

Registered
Reaction score
Hi All,

i've recently purchased a Conan 7D with the aim of putting it in a Nauticam housing. I'm saving at the moment for the housing and everything else that goes with it and have realised its likely going to be 3 months before i can get it wet. I'm shooting on an S90 currently so have somehting to keep me busy but the frustration of not being able to take a DSLR underwater is killing me.

In your humble (but valued) opinions, is the 7D worth the wait? Or, with recent improvements in technology am i just as likely to get good results with another, more modern camera?

Discuss...

I'd say worth the effort. I was thinking of going with a newer camera than my Nikon D90 for UW use, and now I'm thinking that 12mp is "good enough".
The "proof in the pudding" isn't the camera, but two powerful strobes, each of which cost more than a "decent" DSLR camera.

I've tried UW an Olympus and a Panasonic, they drive me nuts with the time they take to focus. Even on "land" I usually focus better, I shoot almost always in Manual + Raw.

Mark definitely started to hit the nail on the head. As good as many of the smaller cameras are today, they still do not compare to a DSLR, especially a Canon 7D. When you look at many of the smaller cameras, even 4/3 cameras from Olympus, Panasonic and Sony, they take excellent images however they are still weaker in terms of ergonomics, dedicated controls, lens options (especially for macro), and the cost is getting up there since you still need to buy ports as well. Being that you already have the 7D (and likely a few lenses) you would be much better served saving and getting a 7D housing. Plus it will last longer and you will be less likely to outgrow it.

What lenses do you have for your 7D?

Standard kit lens at the moment, just the 15-85. I'm looking at the EF-S 60mm for macro, and the tokina 10-17 for fisheye. With the new lenses, ports and an additional strobe that i'll need, i'm looking at an outlay of close to $5000 Australian dollars (about 4 times more than i've ever spent on a car!). Prices tend to be pretty high here in Oz as they slap hefty taxes on imported goods.

I'm off to canada at christmas time though so if theres any stores in Vancouver that sell Nauticam housings I may be able to pick one up cheaper there?

The 7d is a great camera. I looked at it and the T2i. The extra $1000 dollars and the fear of flooding led me to get the T2i. And you are correct all the periphery equipment jacks the price up to the point where the camera was the cheapest part. Good luck and enjoy.

If you aren't in need of the exceptional FPS I would look at the 5D rather than the 7D.

If you aren't in need of the exceptional FPS I would look at the 5D rather than the 7D.

Er, well since its going to cost about an extra 3 or 4 grand to get a 5D and take that underwater, i think i'll give that a miss!

Yes it is expensive, yes it is bulky, yes it is worth the effort. I have the 7D in a Nauticam housing which is great. If you really have serious budget issues, you might look at Ikelite, i have a friend who has a 7DII in one and he gets some amazing pics. That being said, in 3 months you will be happier if you get the Nauticam.

Bill

Yes it is expensive, yes it is bulky, yes it is worth the effort. I have the 7D in a Nauticam housing which is great. If you really have serious budget issues, you might look at Ikelite, i have a friend who has a 7DII in one and he gets some amazing pics. That being said, in 3 months you will be happier if you get the Nauticam.

Bill

Thanks for the advice bill, i had a look over the pics on your website, you have some amazing macro /super macro shots! Love the xmas tree worms from last years album.
I'll persevere then and get the nauticam, its the kind of thing that'll last me for years (hopefully!) and so will be worth the wait.
Cheers!
Phil

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom