• San Andres

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Providencia

• Tayrona

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SerialFF

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello,

I have passed my padi open water in Cabo San Lucas (Baja California- Mexico) in December 2023.

I'm currently in Costa Rica in Drake bay and I will visit Panama then Colombia.

I'm gonna crossed a lot of nice dives spots but I don't have the money to multiply the dives and need to be selective.

I'm really interested by big animals (sharks, turtles, mantas)

What would you recommend to me ?
- Isla del caño - Costa rica (we have a lot of rain and Diving center told me baja del diablo is not guarantee).
OR
- Isla coiba - Panama
OR
- other spot in Colombia (Malpelo ?)

Knowing that i dont think return in those countries and i would like to don't miss a "must to see spot in world"

i cannot do galapagos and Coco Island.

Also i was thinking maybe i can pass the advanced in Panama/Colombia.

And doing one dive in pacific and one dive in caribean if i read the expérience is completely different (bocas del toro, Providencia, tayrona...) i don't know.

Thank you for helping a begginner in this new world :)

I'm watching this thread. Of your options, I have only dived Coiba, so I have nothing to compare it with.

With pleasure. I hope it would help people which are on the same situation. I know we are a lot of backpackers who travel in whole central america

Coiba gets my vote. If you are a neophyte, I do not recommend Malpelo, too much current, too remote.

Interesting thank you. Which one did you do on the list ?
I have done Coiba, San Andres and snorkeled Isla del Caño.
Coiba was by far my favorite. There are other islands near Coiba: Islas Contreras, Coibita, that are worth a look as well.

Many dives in Bocas del Toro, only area I recommend there is Cayos Zapatillas

Given that you're in Drake Bay--are you not diving Isla del Caño? Budget, I certainly understand. FWIW, though, we did a few days of diving there in 2021 and were very happy. We saw turtles, a shark or two, some stingrays, good fish count including Titan triggers, and we were quite pleased with the dive operation. Rental gear was newish to brand-new, good boat, excellent guide.

1717098156139.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom