Cannot find a reason for AOW certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is what I found with a quick Google search, however, this just what I was taught. Well, actually, I was taught that AOW divers can go to a depth of 120 ft., however, I might just be remembering that wrong. Again, I'm 15, and I've been on four dives. I'm just trying to clarify how deep you are able to go with the first rank of a diver. Thani you.

All divers can go all the way to the bottom regardless of "rank." There is no SCUBA police. I know instructors I won't dive with because they are inexperienced rubes, and some of my favorite dive partners carry a PADI Scuba Diver certificate and nothing else. They just dive a lot. And that's what matters.

You want to know that you can do the dive you are planning to do. Let's say you do a wreck dive to 100 feet for something close to the NDL, and you are planning a dive to 50 feet after that. You would like to stay an hour. You will need to have a surface interval that will allow it, or you will be disappointed by having to surface earlier than you wanted.

And I'd agree with that. I did say in my original post about this it was my first dive of the day. For the second dive if recreational we just use the planning function on our computers until it says an hour. It's nice and simple and works. I think people try and turn simple recreational dives into expedition type dives. They are not and for most people it diminishes the fun factor.

Diving is like Drinking.

Both are very enjoyable and addictive.

Grabbing a bottle and going straight to the bottom never ends well in either pursuit.

Take your time, savor the sips/dips you'll find the bottom eventually.

And I'd agree with that. I did say in my original post about this it was my first dive of the day. For the second dive if recreational we just use the planning function on our computers until it says an hour. It's nice and simple and works. I think people try and turn simple recreational dives into expedition type dives. They are not and for most people it diminishes the fun factor.
And I agree with that.

I have made this comparison of two dives before:

1, A recreational diver with with OW certification and 50 logged dives swims along a reef until his SPG reaches a certain level, turns, and returns to the starting point, where he exits the water with reserve gas in his tank.

2. A fully certified cave diver with over 2,000 logged dives swims through a cave until his SPG reaches a certain level, turns, and returns to the starting point, where he exits the water with reserve gas in his tank.

What's the difference?

Well to many people, diver #1 is a pathetic example of a badly trained diver with no idea of how to plan a dive. Diver #2 is an example of a highly trained diver demonstrating proper dive planning and execution.

Why do I need to know what my NDL is before I get into the water?

What happens if your computer malfunctions? I assume that you will scrub the dive but this could be some distance from the boat or the exit point.

It seems to me he described a plan he intended to follow.

There are many ways to plan a dive. Some people believe there is only one way, and they believe that if someone plans a dive other than the one way they know, then the dive has not been planned.

To each his own, but I don't consider swimming around until you are low on air or the computer beeps to be a plan. I am sure his planning is more than that but that was not included in the post. In your example the rec diver turned at a specific PSI (and hopefully built in margin of safety), I consider that a plan (as long as he checked the NDL before hand). He should also have checked the tides, if shore diving in the ocean.

The other thing is what if his buddy has a different computer? The calculations are different and the NDL limits and surface intervals will be different. So while his computer says he is good to go the buddy's computer says he may not. This may not matter much on the first and only dive but it could well matter on a day of multiple dives. Shouldn't this be checked before the dives, so that each diver can make all the dives?

Outside of the internet your limit for open water is 18m. And after AOW 30m. Those limits are there for a good reason and make sense actually.

18m means you have 1 minute without gas to get to the surface if you have a total loss of gas. Which makes sense to me.

30m is where nitrogen narcosis starts to affect people so makes sense to me as well.

If I were you I'd stick with those limits and ignore some of the stuff you read on here.
Then why is PADI's standard for the deep dive to be just over 60'?

What happens if your computer malfunctions? I assume that you will scrub the dive but this could be some distance from the boat or the exit point.

I'd thumb the dive. What would you do if your computer/bt died on a dive? If you have a redundant system you can use it. Otherwise, it doesn't matter. And all the planning in the world can't stop that.

Then why is PADI's standard for the deep dive to be just over 60'?

It's not. A "deep dive" is anything over 18m. For AOW you are trained for up to 30m. What is confusing?

The other thing is what if his buddy has a different computer? The calculations are different and the NDL limits and surface intervals will be different. So while his computer says he is good to go the buddy's computer says he may not. This may not matter much on the first and only dive but it could well matter on a day of multiple dives. Shouldn't this be checked before the dives, so that each diver can make all the dives?

The buddy signal "up" with his thumb. And we ascend. I'm really not sure why this is so difficult for you to understand.

Then you wait at the surface having a drink until both computers say you can can go again for the depth and time you want.

In what situation can each diver not make all the dives? I'm asking as I've done lots and lots of recreational dives. And quite a lot of technical ones. And I've never found a recreational computer that stopped someone doing a recreational dive again after a reasonable surface interval - unless the person had violated the limits of the computer.

Back
Top Bottom