Cannon vs Sealife problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JungleJoe

Contributor
Reaction score
I own a Sealife DC500 and single strobe, I dive local lakes and do not dive in the ocean (yet).

I also own for above the water fun, a CANNON 40D, 4 lenses, most cept the macro are image stablized. I also run a battery grip and have a 530 (i think) equilivent flash.

I am pondering on taking the Cannon down with me to shoot pix.

But now I am looking at housings/strobes etc....

What is the best means to protect my investment in my 40D, can I use some of my lenses ??? What pitfalls am I facing other than a much thinner wallet ???

Preciate candid and good information.

Thank you

JJ

I used to have a Sealife and strobe setup - during a trip to Indonesia I got so frustrated with it that the first thing I did when coming back was sell it and order a Ikelite housing for my 20D (and two DS125).

The main advantage of the sealife is bulk. You can still tie it somewhere and forget about it for the rest of the dive if conditions aren't good. That's not really possible with SLR and strobes.

The second advantage is wet lenses. You can switch from macro to wide angle underwater, while with the SLR you need to decide in advance. Obviously, it's when you load for whale shark that you find pigmy seahorses :D

Now, when you're actually doing photography - the SLR is incomparable. With TTL, flash exposure is always spot on - the modeling lights are great, the strobes recycle in 1 to 2 seconds, there is no shutter lag, no fog, autofocus works great even in very low light, you can mess with DOF if you wish... Bottom line is, you have full creative control over your photos (and can take a ton of variations FAST - even with strobes) instead of having one shot every 10 seconds and hopping the Sealife takes the right decisions for you.

For lenses and ports - my setup is:
  • The Canon 60 macro with standard flat port (my profile photo is with that setup). In very rare occasions (pigmy seahorses?) I wished I had a 100, but the 60 still allows to shoot fishes and larger stuff if the small stuff is a no show.
  • The Canon 10-22 zoom with dome port for wide angle. Lens is good, but I still suck at wide angle composition :depressed:
  • The 18-55 with the flat port when I'm not sure. I have a 'better' 24-85 which fits in the port and that I prefer for land use, but I prefer the range of the 18-55 for underwater.
I had all those lenses for land use already.
Honestly, I don't have any experience with other lenses/ports combos, so you'll want to do more research - but I'm happy with mines.

For protection of your investment, I use and recommend DEPP. I don't know if there are others now offering good conditions, but at the time I bought my gear that was the way to go (DAN conditions weren't that good on photo gear).

When I travel, it has its own pelican case. I stopped worrying about it and rely on my insurance if it 'disappears' between two airports.

Forgot two pieces of info: forget about the battery grip and land flash. You don't need the first and want a dedicated UW strobe (or better, a pair of them).

The standard Ikelite strobe arms suck - but I have stopped short of buying Ultralights and I'm just lusting for now...

how much and what is the best housing that I should look into ??

how much and what is the best housing that I should look into ??

If I remember correctly, it boils down to a competition between high end metal housing (Subal, Aquatica) - and Ikelite. Metal housings for the 20D were three time as much as the Ikelite housing, so I went with the Ikelite. (It looks like it's still true, Ikelite for the 40D is priced at $1500, the Subal at $4000 !).

I'm very happy with it: it gives me access to all camera functions (except you do have to decide between manual focus or zoom on some lenses), TTL adapter is great, and I have had absolutely no reliability trouble so far.

Remember strobe, ports, and a big case to carry everything in your budget!

I wonder if anyone has a used case and strobes they might want to part with, thank you for all this info !!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom