Canister light styles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wetman

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm in the mood for a canister light this year. Was curious about something. I tooka a diverite mr11 head HID out for a dive last year and quite liked the light. Beautiful solid beam. However, I've noticed quite a few different lights are the test tube adjustable style. What do people feel about those? I've only seen those on above water and they were bright also (was a sartek 18 i think) and the one thing i noticed about that was that there were more hotspots in that light compared to the mr11. Is this an issue at all? I also get the sense that the test tube styles might be easier to break.

Please comment.

Thanks,

Steve

Test tube lightheads are more fussy and delicate than MR reflector bulb styles, but they put out a lot more light for the same size bulb, and are adjustable which is very handy too. It's a damn shame that no one won't come out with a MR16 (bigger reflector size) HID since that might combine some of the advantages of both.

See my comments on the Helios thread about relative outputs.

Originally posted by wetman
I'm in the mood for a canister light this year. Was curious about something. I tooka a diverite mr11 head HID out for a dive last year and quite liked the light. Beautiful solid beam. However, I've noticed quite a few different lights are the test tube adjustable style. What do people feel about those? I've only seen those on above water and they were bright also (was a sartek 18 i think) and the one thing i noticed about that was that there were more hotspots in that light compared to the mr11. Is this an issue at all? I also get the sense that the test tube styles might be easier to break.

Back
Top Bottom