Canister light replacement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Belmont

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi everyone!

I have a DIR/HOG configuration question:

I plan on diving in the Caribbean this Christmas.

I have an Hogarthian configured equipment setup and have taken DIR training this summer in the Thousand Islands.

Since I will be diving with people of various formations and be paired with an "instabuddy" (guess I'll be one myself :D) I was thinking of not taking my HID
lamp on the day dives.

To help secure my long hose someone suggested taking a Rambo knife or sliding an extra pocket on my belt or even putting the hose under the belt.

None of these solutions appeal to me. I was thinking of fashioning a plate in a ¼ inch piece of Plexiglas that would replace my HID battery canister.

Now I would like you DIR practitioners ( by the way can I register on your forum...I'm not GUE trained) to give me your opinion on this:

-I should keep my light to be properly configured.
-The only other possibility is to wear a useful piece of equipment.
-Get a shorter "long" hose.

Your wise answers will be highly appreciated.

Also: would this thread be acceptable in the "DIR practitioners forum" .

Thank you

I've taken my HID light on many tropical dives in the daytime. I find it quite useful. It brings out colors I would not otherwise have seen, and has found a lot of critters who were otherwise easy to miss. It's not useful for signaling (and wouldn't be anyway, with buddies who aren't keyed in to using lights that way) but it's useful for ME for the dive. That completely solves the question of how to route the hose.

There are a couple of options for stowing the long hose (should you decide not to bring your canister light)

1) tuck the hose into the waist strap. Make sure it will deploy smoothly
2) tuck the hose under your knife. If the knife is carried centrally you may find that the hose will sit there rather nicely.

Use a shorter hose. 5 footers used to be acceptable practice and may still be. That is what I use. I recall George having a thing going once about how a 40" hose is the one to use for single tank dives but I forget the reasons why.

Using a 7' hose in all situations is not written in stone.

I woudn't go diving anywhere without a good light. Problem is solved! :D

I usually take my can light.

The few times I've done this type of diving without a can light I either tucked the excess hose under the waist strap where the can light would normally be, or attached a weight pocket or knife on the right side to route the hose under.

I've never had problems with either method.

When I don't bring my can light (rarer and rarer these days), I add shears where the can light would go (in a sheath). The cord tucks nicely under the shears. Even bettor for destinations that don't allow knives, but seem fine with shears. I don't see the need for a pocket or pig sticker.

A 7' hose stows away nicely under the waist strap. A 5' hose works well for most divers just routing under the arm with no extra hose to tuck anywhere. A 6' hose may be needed by larger divers with broader chests.

In my opinion a 40" hose is way too short and is now back in the normal octo hose category with all of the inherent limitations in using it during an OOG situation. Plus its too short to route in normal long hose fashion unless you are a very small person.

I've taken my HID light on many tropical dives in the daytime. I find it quite useful. It brings out colors I would not otherwise have seen, and has found a lot of critters who were otherwise easy to miss. It's not useful for signaling (and wouldn't be anyway, with buddies who aren't keyed in to using lights that way) but it's useful for ME for the dive. That completely solves the question of how to route the hose.

Thank you TSandM,

You point of view has enLIGHTened me, along with the other comments pointing toward using my canister light. Also now that I look at it, it's part of my equipment and diving with it makes sense, helping the use of it become second nature.

Now, what about my other question...

Thanks again

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom