Canister Light Battery Upgrade

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just compleated my Diverite MLS upgrade. I replaced my SLA 7 amp hour 12 volt with a 16.8 volt 10 amp hour battery pack (14 D cells). I ran a burn test last night with a 12 volt 50 watt halogen and quit after 1.25 hours to go to bed. The bulb was still burning bright. I ordered new MR16 bulbs that burn at 6400 K with 12 deg. spot. It should be real interesting to see the performance of these new lamps at 16.8 volts.

I will post some pictures soon.

My experience has been that lamps which are run hot will last much longer when used solely underwater.

Here are some picture of the new battery and canister battery housing. I started a burn test tonight with a 50W bulb. The light is going strong at 145 min. and counting. This is the first burn test after one charge. It will take two or three cycles to condition the batteries.

Had a week of diving in Alaska and testing my new battery pack. The 16.8 volt 10 amp hour pack would run a 50W bulb for more than two dives. Average burn time would exceed 1.5 hours. The pack would not handle the amp drain of a 75W bulb. I will have to stay with 50W or less. The 6500k Whitestar bulb provided great white light to bring out the color of the sea life in day or night use.

2Dive4Fun,

I am researching for a battery pack and had a few questions for you about your setup. Are you using a voltage regulator at all? I have heard issues of cold start burn outs from overdriving halogens and I was wondering if you were having any issues at all. Sounds like you havent, which is good news to me.

Colin

Gonzofro,

I did not install any regulator for this trip. I did order a Light Genie and just got it in the mail this week. I have not installed it yet, but will plan on doing so with this system. I had a genie made to produce 50% or 100% power settings. My main reason is to reserve power and reduce heat on surface use, safty stops, surface swims, etc. The other selling point was the auto 50% reduction when battery pack hits specified amp discharge level. I will post results after I install it.

I had not problem with hot starts with the 16.8 volt battery and 50 watt halogen.

Back
Top Bottom