Cancun trip recomendations.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Captainawesome

Registered
Reaction score
Hey all, I really don't come on here enough, and if this is in the wrong section please by all means move it, but I am planning a trip to cancun for a week at the end of August and am looking for recommendations of dive outfits there. I dove 5 Days in cozumel in December with Dive with Martin and loved it, but we wanted to do more mainland stuff this time so we decided to try Cancun.

I like the smaller boats and groups, cheaper is always good, wanting to go dive a couple of cenotes and night dive. There is only two of us going, I have 60 dives logged my friend has I think about 30, but it's been several years since he has scuba dove.
I also would like some suggestions on dive sights to request, perhaps some shore diving?

On a side note, we are staying at a cheap motel, so recomendations on rental car (or other means of transportation?) Places to eat, good ruins to visit, a good fishing outfit (cheap! that takes combined groups out, I don't want to rent the whole boat or charter it) spear fishing? and other things to do around there. highly respect the advice of members here above most anyone else so thank you in advance for any helpful info.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
When we were in Cancun we dove with Solo Buceo. They were the dive operator at the hotel we were staying at. I'm not familiar with any other dive shops in Cancun but they were very good.

We didn't have a rental car but relied on the taxi and bus systems. You don't really have to speak Spanish to get around and the stops are clearly marked.

We did take a day to visit Chizen Itza on a tour bus. Very hot but very interesting. I can't remember the name of the tour but there are plenty that can take you. Tulum is another Mayan ruin and is closer to Cancun, Chizen Itza is about 2 1/2 hours by bus.

We did eat at a really nice restaurant La Disteleria. Not too pricey and the kids thought is was good. There are some malls that you can eat at as well with one of the malls right across the street from the Westin Lagunamar. There are some nice restaurants in there including a nice pizza place that is very popular.

Last year, we dove in the Manchones Reef (I must say that the place is amazing, in fact, amazing is not enough to describe it) through Scuba Cancun. SC, from what I heard from my fellow divers and locals I contacted before venturing on the trip, is the best Cancun has to offer, so no second-guesses, I immediately went to them and that my friend, was one of the the best decisions I've made.

Where will you be staying? We choose Cancun Rent A Car when we went there. They're good, so I highly recommend that you choose them. For you and your friend's tummies, go to La Habichuela. They have a couple of branches in Cancun so just go to the nearest one from your accommodation. Their food is to die for and I dare say that your Cancun trip will never be complete without trying them out.

Thanks for the tips! Keep em coming guys!

@jash the Explorer;
We are staying at the LA Quinta Inn on Avenida Tulum Supermanazana. They have colorful street names aparently. :wink: I think we did that one because they offer free breakfast if I remember correctly. So we aren't in a very high end hotel or anything. Our main goal was to have a place to sleep.

Thanks for the tips! Keep em coming guys!

@jash the Explorer;
We are staying at the LA Quinta Inn on Avenida Tulum Supermanazana. They have colorful street names aparently. :wink: I think we did that one because they offer free breakfast if I remember correctly. So we aren't in a very high end hotel or anything. Our main goal was to have a place to sleep.

If I'm not mistaken, that's where our friends stayed when they had their Cancun trip a couple of years back and they said it's perfect for budget-conscious travelers. Yeah, why choose an expensive one if you won't be staying there that much because you'll be out there, exploring the place most of the time. A comfortable and safe place to sleep would be fine, right?

How long will you be staying there? There's another place I'd love to recommend to you guys.

Our thoughts exactly. We will be there for a week. Please by all means recommend away:) we want to get the most out of our trip.

Add another for Alvaro at Always Diving. He's been diving that area for at least 30 years, so he's pretty familiar with every place you might want to go. We've done 70-80 dives with him over the years. Everything from reefs to wrecks to cenotes.
Tell him Mark & Sue recommended him. He will take care of you.

Sent from an old fashioned 300 baud acoustic modem by whistling into the handset. Really.

For a week? Wow, that's awesome! I'm sure you are going to have a great time in Cancun. The place I'm recommending is Puerto Madero. You should check it out, especially if you guys love steak and seafood. It is located in Blvd. Kukulkan, Km. 14 Marina Barracuda, it's pretty popular so the locals know where it is. What made me fall in love with the place is that it gives you an overlooking view on the Nichupté Lagoon, which of course, makes your dining experience more special because of the magnificent view. A must try :wink:

Hello Captainawesome, my name is Alvaro Gonzalez and I run AlwaysDiving in Cancun, I've been teaching and conducting divers in this side of Mexico (Cancun, Cozumel, Riviera Maya, Cenotes) for over 32 years.
Let me tell you that small groups is the way we do our diving trips, we think thats the way it most be done.
We do have the two options, Cenotes and nigth dive, we can program them in orther to give you the best service posible, we usually make customized dive packages for the divers who come to dive with us.
We believe in making friends not costumers, we can give your friend a refreshment shore dive for free in order to making feel ready for the dives.
Contact us or send a PM and we will give you a really good diving experience.
Best regards to all from the paradise and thanks Jeff, Mark and Sue for your words, I love what I do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom