Cancun to Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ajmataz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
What kind of layover time needs to be allowed between arrival in Cancun and departure to Cozumel? Do you go through customs in Cancun and then check-in again for the departure flight to Coz?

ajmataz:
What kind of layover time needs to be allowed between arrival in Cancun and departure to Cozumel? Do you go through customs in Cancun and then check-in again for the departure flight to Coz?

You will have to clear immigration and customs in Cancun. Are you flying a charter or a regular airline? The charters often use a different terminal than the regular airlines which could add a little time to the process.

I would allow at least an hour and if you happen to hit immigration at a busy time, that might not be enough. But those commuter flights run pretty regularly, so even if you miss your flight, there should be a later one you can catch. When you get through customs, I would go directly to the departure gate. If everything runs real smoothly and you get there in time, they will sometimes let you get on the earlier flight over.

If you're in a hurry, when you get past the customs checkpoint, hire one of the porters to help you with your bags. He'll take you the quickest route to the departure gate.

JK
http://www.mxtravel.com/cozumel/cozumel_guide.html#airport_transfer
http://www.mxtravel.com/cozumel/santa_fe.html

sometimes it is a 3 hour wait for the 20 min. flight. I never take it. There is a bus company "Riveara" that has a pickup right at the Cancun airport that takes you to Playa del Carmen where you take the ferry to Coz.
Bus ticket $7.00 travel time to playa 55 min
Ferry to Coz $9.00 one way travel time 35min
Walk from bus terminal to ferry 1min. tip for guy to take your bags $1 per bag.

loudives:
sometimes it is a 3 hour wait for the 20 min. flight. I never take it. There is a bus company "Riveara" that has a pickup right at the Cancun airport that takes you to Playa del Carmen where you take the ferry to Coz.
Bus ticket $7.00 travel time to playa 55 min
Ferry to Coz $9.00 one way travel time 35min
Walk from bus terminal to ferry 1min. tip for guy to take your bags $1 per bag.

I'm with Lou. The commuter flights often get cancelled because there aren't enough people, and most often you can actually get to Coz faster and cheaper by bus and ferry.

ajmataz:

We just returned from Coz and we did use Mexicana for our flight to/from Coz. We had 1 hour to make our connection and fortunatly we had no problems- however we did carry-on our luggage thus we were first thru customs. IF we had to wait for our luggage and wait in line for customs we would not have made it. We flew into terminal B and had to take the shuttle to terminal A. (actually shuttle never came and paid $5 to a taxi to take us over there!!!) I have to admit for this circumstance it was well worth the $60 r/t to fly over but it is very possible we could have missed that flight over. I would feel more comfortable for a 90 min connection time.

Jean

PS Yes you must go through customs first then check-in again.

Whats the best way (fastest and safest) to get to Playa del Carmen from the Cancun airport?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom