Cancun Murders?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

meh. We need to take care of L.A. and Chicago before we start "helping our neighbors". Not that I think it's our business anyway, we aren't the world police. The only difference IMO is that Mexico is a place I like to vacation at. LA and Chicago aren't.
Their murder rates are actually not horrible. Look them up. St.Louis seems to be the current worst in the US.

All the violence was in the old downtown Cancun area and not the tourist zones, and no where near the airport or highway to Playa. I my mind it should in no way inhibit the "bag drag".

Dave Dillehay

Their murder rates are actually not horrible. Look them up. St.Louis seems to be the current worst in the US.
I tried. The only source I'd really trust given the state of hyper-politicized news today is the FBI. They published good data for 2016 here: Table 3 but they've only published preliminary data for the first half of 2017 here: Table 4

In 2016 at least, California was by far the murder capitol of the US with nearly double the murders of Florida. California was followed by Texas, Florida, and Illinois in that order. I have to say, I learned something reading that report.

6 at least, California was by far the murder capitol of the US with nearly double the murders of Florida. California was followed by Texas, Florida, and Illinois in that order. I have to say, I learned something reading that report

By percent of population, Florida, Texas, California.

Alabama, Alaska, and Illinois are working on doubling those murder rates, then I got bored.

But I had to know, at 19.9 murders per 100,000 population Puerto Rico topped the chart.

Bob

Its like comparing apples to oranges if you are using 'official' numbers to compare statistics between countries or even states. I do not believe the official numbers for Mexico include the 'disappeared'.

As Bob mentioned, you have to normalize as a percent of population size. Nobody noticed the winner: DIstrict of Columbia at nearly 3X the next competitor. So just like we thought, they're the king of all crimes then... I must talk to the FBI about why you never merge cells in Excel

People should not believe everything they read in the medias, medias are always looking for sensationalism.
The truth is the murder rate in Cancun is lower than any big city in the US.
Then unless you are selling drugs in a cartel territory while in holidays in Cancun, you have nothing to worry about.

False Reports on Cancun are Opening Eyes to Fake Travel News

People should not believe everything they read in the medias, medias are always looking for sensationalism.
The truth is the murder rate in Cancun is lower than any big city in the US.
Then unless you are selling drugs in a cartel territory while in holidays in Cancun, you have nothing to worry about.

False Reports on Cancun are Opening Eyes to Fake Travel News

I read the original article posted in this thread, and it reported this news correctly, including the line "none of the deaths occurred in Cancun's beach-side hotel zone." I have no idea who the guy is that you linked to, but it seemed to me that he was hyperventilating about a problem that wasn't actually there, perhaps benefiting from his own sensationalism?

I'll agree that many articles nowadays are clickbait. I don't think that's the case here.

Back
Top Bottom