Cancun for the first time!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnAC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
All my diving except my first have been here in Socal. I want to know what to expect for weighting.

My rig currently...
  • 7mm suit, Steel hp100, steel bp/wing w/oms STA and 12lbs on the belt.
I will be renting gear so i figure Al80 and a 3mm shorty, but what weighting do you think i'll need on the belt?

Thx for your advice!

012_11A-Copy.jpg

Watchmanjc...

This would be my suggestion... FWIW! Couple of assumptions on my part; 1, you will carry your bp/w, regs, fins, mask, and such and only be renting weights and tanks...

Your basically living in LA; Buy or rent your 3mm if you don't already own one, rent a Al80 from your dive shop and borrow some weights from them (a few 2's and a couple of 4's)...

Pick a good day and head on out to the beach...! Personally, I like knowing what I need before I get to where I'm going... Things get a bit hectic at the point of arrival, sometimes...!

FYI, I dive a ST100, bp/w and when diving a 3mm I carry @ 5-6lbs (saltwater) when I go AL80 with 3mm I am carrying @ 11lbs (saltwater)...

You would still need to know the difference between the 3mm and 7mm and that is why I would give it a test spin over there in the Pacific...! Weights are going to vary person to person and it looks like you have enough dives to know what you need for yourself. Me; I am not going to find out that I am 5lbs lite and in a uncontrollable assent once I start up from 100'....

True story... Had a friend who wanted to test out my bp/w (group of us on a dive trip) so I let him and I used my wife's transpac... I thought we were only going for a test spin but once in the water and at 35' I found out he wanted to head out to a wreck some 15-20 minutes down the way and @ 85'.

Like I said, I was wearing my wife's stuff and just took a shot in the dark with the weights... Could have been a big mistake, well it was a big mistake... Once we got to the wreck I knew I was going to be lite...! I started looking for a good size rock or dead coral but nothing was really working well. Like I said, we went to a wreck so I found a large scrap of iron and carried it all the way back to our entry point and lived happily ever after!!!

Moral to the story is never let your friends borrow your bp/w...!!! Kidding, but don't guess at the weights!!! Heavy is one thing but lite can kill you.... I was lucky!!!

Regards, lee

Last edited:
It's hard to generalize, but at 160 lb, in a full 3mm suit with a SS plate I'll probably need an additional 4-5 lb to compensate for the salt water and aluminum 80s. My 3mm suit on the next warm water trip will be new, so it might be a little more floaty.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom