Cancun Dives Near Excellence Playa Mujeres

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DDAGO

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
:)
Hi, My husband and I are going to Cancun at the end of April and are Padi certified. We would like to know what dives are good around the area we are staying, at the Excellence Playa Mujeres.
How about those cenotes, are they fun? Are the wreck dives worth it? So many decisions....

C-55 and C-58 are the wrecks that I've dove in Cancun. Both are in 80ft of water and, at least when I've been there, have enough current to make you flap like a flag on a flagpole while on rope. C-58 is broken into 2 sections and can be entered and explored. C-55 is broken into 4 sections, which we dove in a figure 8 pattern, sticking close to the bottom and using the wreck to shelter from the current. The marine life is impressive. I saw a huge formation of Eagle rays, we stopped counting at 60, at C-55. Some were no further than 10 feet away, flying into the current, with the effect of being motionless in the water.

The reefs, Grampin and Horseshoe, and others that won't come to mind, are in 60 foot of water, full of color and have a million times more fish than I saw while diving the wall in Cozumel. I also saw sharks on almost every dive on the reefs.

We also did 2 tanks in Chacmool cenote on our last day. That was a good experience, but I was more impressed with the reefs.

Mike

Add Alvaro at AlwaysDiving to your Op list. Great guy, great instructor and fabulous guide.

Grampin and Horseshoe are great, but also consider Tiburones and the Aquarium.

The cenotes are awesome. As a new diver, you really ought to do a couple reef dives with your op and then talk about cenote dives. They will be able to judge your skills, and I know fora fact that Alvaro will tell you know if he thinks you're not ready. I presume other ops do the same.

We did two tanks in Chac Mool as our 13th & 14th dives, so it's certainly not something that a new diver automatically needs to avoid. We're planning 3 tanks in the cenotes this year, with Alvaro.

I need to add thanks to Jaime Martinez at Solo Buceo for a very safe and well run dive. He also is an operator that will tell you no if your skills are not sufficient for the dive.

Hey Mark, thanks for your words my friend, in Cancun we do have more than twelve dive sites with an impressive amount of sea life, as a dive instructor, I´ve been diving in this area (Cancun, Puerto Morelos, Playa del Carmen, Cozumel and Cenotes) for more than thirty two years, so I have many options and experience to give you great dives, if you are looking for a really personal dives, contact me, I never take more than six divers at the time for ocean dives and four people maximum for Cenotes.
Imagine a dive where there is no waves, no current and the visibility is FIVE HUNDRED YARDS!!! (This is for real) Well, this is the best way to define a Cenote dive, certainly, it exist some other Cenotes where the people can make extreme dives, I like to do it in an EASY, FUN AND SAFE WAY.
In cenotes there is, basically, two types of dives “Cave Dive” and “Cavern Dive” there is a substantial difference between one each other , THE SUN LIGHT, as long as you can see it , you are in a cavern, which is safe and fun, the maximum depth in this dives is 45 feet, but we do not stay at this depth all the dive time, so the average depth is about 20 feet, in case we have to surface, it won´t take us more than 35 seconds, swimming in a straight line, to do it, WE DO NOT DO CAVE PENETRATION , an open water diver can do this dive.
Please, contact me in case you need more information
alvaro@alwaysdiving.com
Always Diving - the best diving xperencies.

Thanks so much for the info. Looking forward to a great trip. We are not new divers, but we haven't dove in 2 years. But you never forget. We've been certified for about 25 years.

Thanks again!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom