Cancun/Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubyDoo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
How far away is Cozumel from Cancun? Does anyone ever stay in Cancun, and go to Cozumel to dive? Is the diving at Cancun any good?

If you are planning on diving more than just one day, I would stay on Cozumel. The diving in Cancun is not very good (I have heard). I say go to Cozumel, unless you really want the Cancun partying... Once you dive Cozumel it is really hard to go anywhere else...
:guitar:

The diving in Cozumel is MUCH better than Cancun. From Cancun to Cozumel consists of: 45 min bus/taxi ride to Playa Del Carmen (cost from $10-40US depending on which mode of transport you use). 45 min ferry from Playa Del Carmen to Cozumel (cost $7US each way). Then reverse on the return. Ferry runs hourly from 5AM to 9PM each way.

IMHO the best mode from Cancun to Playa and return is the Riviera Bus. It is Air conditioned and runs from the Cancun airport and from the downtown bus station regularly.

If you catch the 7AM ferry from Playa, you can make the morning dives from Coz and then return to Cancun same day if you wish.

I recently came across a web site that has what appears to be accurate and up to date information on the bus and ferry schedules. It is www.cozumelmycozumel.com

Rich Hagelin

ScubyDoo once bubbled...
How far away is Cozumel from Cancun? Does anyone ever stay in Cancun, and go to Cozumel to dive? Is the diving at Cancun any good?

Cozumel is about 35 miles due south of Cancun. The only way you could dive Cozumel while staying in Cancun would to only do afternoon dives and spend a lot of time (bus and ferry) or money (plane) traveling back and forth. The diving at Cancun is nowhere near what it is at Cozumel.

If you want to party a lot and dive a little, go to Cancun; if you want to dive a lot and party a little, go to Cozumel.

If you are going to dive then stay in Coz. As mentioned b4, if you want to party all night like rock stars and dive some of your trip then stay in Cancun but you will find the trip a pain in the neck....and you can really only do afternoon dives as mentioned. If only one dive per day or afternoon diving is your thing then that would work out fine.........but the trip is still a pain in the neck........IMO.

Back
Top Bottom