Cancun - Cozumel Dive Trip, Dec 14 to Dec 23

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ShakaZulu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Cancun Dive Trip

Arrived at Cancun airport on Friday night December 14, and after being dropped off at the wrong hotel, finally made it to bed around 11:30pm. Got up early to meet up with Jason (aka PlayaCountryBoy on ScubaBoard) from Fantasea Divers to explore some local reefs in Playa Del Carmen.

We geared up and loaded the tanks on the boat. The boat left from shore so we had to deal with some waves, but being a PHD diver from Socal, that wasn’t a problem. On the first dive Lisa needed more weight, and this caused the rest of the group to be swept away by the current. We returned to the boat, added some weight and descended.

IMG_015.jpg

I shot my bag to allow the boat to follow us and ended the dive around 1000psi, so that we would have time to look for the other group. Worked out well….did one more dive on a shallow reef. The water was a warm toasty 78 degrees. The second day, we did a wall dive and saw some turtles and the biggest eel I have ever seen.

IMG_017.jpg

On the third day, we boarded the Ferry to Cozumel and dove the Santa Rosa Wall. Lisa freaked out after swimming over the 40ft plateau to the edge of the wall and indicated by an array of hand signals I have never seen that she is not going down there…. After some hand holding and underwater kisses we dropped to 60-70ft with the instructor and then I descended to 100ft to do some nitrogen loading.

IMG_047.jpg

An amazing amount of sea life at this site and it was very difficult to take pictures as I could not stop due the current.

IMG_050.jpg

Queen Angel Fish

IMG_072.jpg

Also spotted a large Grouper…

IMG_074.jpg

On the last day, Lisa’s diving skills have improved a lot and she was ready for some cavern diving. Louis picked us up at the hotel in his truck, and we were off to dive Dos Ojos, meaning “Two Eyes”.

IMG_107.jpg

My poor girlfriend let me know that she’s only doing this cause she loves me and we entered into the cave system through a large opening in the ground.

IMG_111.jpg

We were entertained by incredible rock formations and amazing colors when light shines through the rock openings into the water. Checkout Lisa’s trim, and you guys should have seen her frog kick…I think I’m going to marry her :).

IMG_139.jpg

IMG_121.jpg

It was an awesome trip, and we were sad to leave….

Full Album available here….for all you pro photographers, excuse the lack of experience :)

roy_rodgers/Cancun Diving Pics Dec 07 - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Videos:

PS. Special thanks to Jason, he really took care of us and we really appreciated the one-on-one dive guides. Would definitely recommend him to anyone travel to Cancun and looking for a personal dive experience.

Nice report. I really enjoyed my diving with Jason Dec. 3-6.

Is that Jake on the far left ?

No, that is Louis, the cave guide, really nice guy and he made Lisa feel really comfortable. I'm surprized she did the dive ....:)

Back
Top Bottom