Cancun 3-20-2008

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jay_SMART_Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I went to Cancun for my honeymoon (March 19-24, 2008) and got one day of diving in. From doing a little leg work and research on the boards I found Ben at Mayan Aqua Dives came highly recommended. After making contact through a couple of PM’s I made my online reservations with Mayan Aqua Dive and paid through PayPal. I shot Ben another PM letting him know I was on the books to dive Friday and that I wanted to do the wreck and reef dive. Wednesday when I arrived in Cancun I got a message on my hotel voicemail from Ben stating that due to weather problems earlier in the week he had to bump the wreck and reef dive to Thursday and wanted to know if I still wanted to dive. He called me again later and I said I was on board so the next morning he had a shuttle/van swing by the hotel and pick me up; On board was Fyshebait (From Scubaboard) and a father daughter team from up North. The van took us over to The Club International (near the Giant Flag Pole) to the shop/dock on the beach. Waivers were done and it was off to the boat, The Taurus. I brought my own gear but Ben had some Mares gear in rental that all looked to be in good shape and less than a year old. All the dive sites are relatively close so the boat ride was only about 10-15 minutes out to the sites. When we got close Ben gave a thorough briefing and diagram of the C-58 on the write on board as well as what to expect with the current and contingency plans. The weather was sunny with a few clouds and temperature was around 85 degrees. There were some moderate waves but nothing the Taurus couldn’t handle, we had about 12 divers on board and I think I remember Ben saying the boat could hold 16, so we had plenty of room to gear up. Dropped in the water and descended as a group, the current was moving pretty good so we were on the wreck in no time. The wreck sits in two pieces after one of the Hurricanes came through and broke the wreck in two separated by a few hundred yards. The stern still sits upright and is very open. With some Humongous Barracuda hanging out side the stern and a good mess of grunts and snapper inside the open part of the stern. We did see a couple of Spotted Eagle Rays near the stern but Ben had told us that the bigger groups hang out by the bow.

Attachments

• C-5804.JPG
    C-5804.JPG
    117.2 KB · Views: 76
  • C-5805.JPG
    C-5805.JPG
    178.1 KB · Views: 80
  • C-5807.JPG
    C-5807.JPG
    101.2 KB · Views: 57
  • C-5810.JPG
    C-5810.JPG
    138.6 KB · Views: 63
  • C-5811.JPG
    C-5811.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 63
  • C-5814.JPG
    C-5814.JPG
    170.9 KB · Views: 88
  • C-5803.JPG
    C-5803.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 56
After milling around the stern we drifted across the open sand to the Bow and once on the other side we saw more Rays. After huffing and puffing against the current around the stern my buddy and I started making our way up with one of the dive masters. When we were around 25’ the three of us got quite a treat as a 12’ Sailfish came swimming directly at us to check us out, I barely had time to get the camera up before he closed the distance turned and shot off, but I did get photo evidence, of more than half of him!!
Dive #1 Profile: 3-20-2008 C-58 Wreck, Cancun Mexico
Time in: 09:52 Max Depth: 80’ Dive Time: 0:32 Min Water Temp: 78 Visibility: 80’

Attachments

• C-5820.JPG
    C-5820.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 50
  • C-5821.JPG
    C-5821.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 64
  • C-5823.JPG
    C-5823.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 51
  • C-5825.JPG
    C-5825.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 59
  • C-5826.JPG
    C-5826.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 47
  • C-5828.JPG
    C-5828.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 89
Second dive was after a 48 minute surface interval we dove the San Toribio reef that lays around 50’. The current was still a little strong here as well and had some surge to contend with, the visibility here had dropped to around 50 feet but there was a ton of fish around a curved/horseshoe section of the reef with tons of snapper and grunts. This was a nice relaxing dive; I just wish the visibility would have been a little better. I think everyone had a great time seeing all the fish. I can’t wait to see Fyshebait’s video.
Dive #2 Profile: 3-20-2008 San Toribio Reef, Cancun, Mexico
Time In: 11:13 Max Depth: 57’ Dive Time: 0:44 Min Water Temp: 78 Visibility: 50’

Attachments

• Toribio01.JPG
    Toribio01.JPG
    284.1 KB · Views: 54
  • Toribio06.JPG
    Toribio06.JPG
    294.3 KB · Views: 48
  • Toribio09.JPG
    Toribio09.JPG
    206.7 KB · Views: 44
  • Toribio13.JPG
    Toribio13.JPG
    257.5 KB · Views: 42
  • Toribio18.JPG
    Toribio18.JPG
    273.9 KB · Views: 50
  • Toribio19.JPG
    Toribio19.JPG
    270.9 KB · Views: 49
I decided to stay on and do the one tank afternoon dive since my lovely new bride had well in advance notified me that I would not be turning the Honeymoon into a Dive Trip, so I had to get all my diving into one day. The afternoon dive consists of a 30 foot reef that is used for refreshers, training, and discover scuba patrons but I was having fun so it really didn’t matter to me as long as I could get wet and blow bubbles. We did get off to a little of a late start from the normal 1:30 departure because some of the other instructors were finishing up with some pool and shore work with some other divers who were going out, and the Taurus had to go replenish tanks from the morning dives. So I spent a while snoozing in a chair in the shade by the shop (did I mention it was on the beach…what a life). After a little over two hours the Taurus was back and everyone was assembled on the dock and ready for diving. The Skies had gotten a little cloudier but it was still nice and warm. This trip out we had about 12 again, including an Irish couple finishing their Stress and Rescue class diving with Ben, and a handful of guppies diving with instructors/dive masters. I was to tag along with the guppies, which was cool, because I wanted to try some different strobe settings at shallower depths. The reef was just off Isla Mujeres called Manchones and is in about 30’ consisting of lots of scattered coral heads around the sand of various sizes. This was a great long dive with still a little surge and visibility was around 30 feet.
Dive #3 Profile: 3-20-2008 Manchones Reef, Cancun, Mexico
Time In: 14:44 Max Depth: 31’ Dive Time: 1:05 Min Water Temp: 78 Visibility: 30’

Attachments

• Manchones03.JPG
    Manchones03.JPG
    110 KB · Views: 40
  • Manchones09.JPG
    Manchones09.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 76
  • Manchones10.JPG
    Manchones10.JPG
    187.1 KB · Views: 56
  • Manchones13.JPG
    Manchones13.JPG
    190.7 KB · Views: 42
  • Manchones14.JPG
    Manchones14.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 47
  • Manchones18.JPG
    Manchones18.JPG
    181.2 KB · Views: 49
All and all it was a great day of diving and I had a blast. I can’t say enough good things about Ben from Mayan Aqua Dives. His staff was great and I had a great time with the Dive Masters/Instructors. Not to mention the door to door service with transportation, when I make it back to Cancun I’ll definitely be hitting Ben up for more dives!! I uploaded more pictures to my Gallery if you want to check those out, in the Cancun Album.

Attachments

• Manchones26.JPG
    Manchones26.JPG
    184.8 KB · Views: 46
  • Manchones27.JPG
    Manchones27.JPG
    148.5 KB · Views: 43
  • Manchones29.JPG
    Manchones29.JPG
    197.9 KB · Views: 33
  • Manchones31.JPG
    Manchones31.JPG
    151.3 KB · Views: 40
  • Manchones33.JPG
    Manchones33.JPG
    170.9 KB · Views: 40
  • Manchones34.JPG
    Manchones34.JPG
    166.2 KB · Views: 29
Thanks for the report, Jay. Ben and his staff are the best. My first OW checkout dive was Manchones. I unfortunately didn't do the wreck, but will do it when I return.

Man, that was awesome that you got the sailfish shot. You got some real treats on that trip. I never tire diving on Manchones. I've always found something new on the reefs. The viz looked a bit crappy, but that always happens when I storm goes through.

I realize your hardships of wanting to dive on your honeymoon. However, she did let you get a couple in. Next time, maybe she'll let you get a lot in! :D

Ben's group is the best. I dive with him every year when I go down. Also, it was good to hear you got to dive with Chris from PEI (SB'er). Last time down, there were about six or seven of us and had a great time!

Glad you had a great trip!

This is Jim, the father of the father/daughter team that dove with you on Thursday morning. I'm glad that I got to see the photo of the sailfish. I knew it wasn't a fish tail when we got back on the boat, but as you said, "no picture, no fish"! I'll have to send your post to my daughter who is back at Georgetown University. I ended up diving with Ben and his team four different days and had a great time. I did the Isla Mujeres dive on Monday afternoon, and my wife came along and did some snorkeling. A great time, indeed! Best wishes again on your marriage, and good fishing in those rapids on the San Marcos!

Thanks Jay, really enjoyef looking at your pictures. New diver here, going to Cancun in June on family vacation. My son and myself are looking to do some diving so I thnk I now know who with. Thanks again!!

Dale
Alabama

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom