Cancel dive trip due to torn ACL???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife has the worst knees on the planet and has been diving for quite some time now. Her ortho doc is a former Army doc from Bragg and Walter Reed, so he saw an impressive number of joint injuries. She has had ACL MCL and meniscus tears on both knees, she has been diving and playing racquetball with a torn meniscus for several months, putting off surgery until next week, hen in August we will be in Florida, diving.

Bottom line is dive, enjoy, know your limits on pain. The jury is out on increased risk of DCS due to decreased vascularity in surgery or injury sites; I dive high O2 mixes to err on the safe side (I am full of pins, screws. plates and other objects)

Enjoy your trip

It has been 4 weeks since the surgery to replace my ACL, and 5 weeks since I have gone diving. I am walking w/o crutches or a brace and have almost normal flexion in my injured leg (115 degrees). Anyone have a clue how much longer it will be until I can get back in the water? I'm going through withdrawals.

Most of the data says 6 to 12 weeks before returning to normal activity. If you are working with a physical therapist, he might be able to answer your question better.

The risk to your recovery is on the land, not in the water. If you stumble while walking in full gear, the added weight could do some damage. Once you are in the water it's pretty hard to whack your knee that hard. Maybe if you get attacked by a crazed bull sea lion or something.

If you can suit up in the water, or on a boat where you can do a back-roll entry, I think you would be pretty safe.

Glad you're doing well. Based on what dpbishop suggested, don't book the Flower Gardens this year. Texas freshwater if you have a scuba valet, or a nice trip to Cozumel. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom