Cancel dive trip due to torn ACL???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

5 years ago, I completely tore my left ACL and a partial MCL tear skiing on a hyperextended leg and catching an edge. I wouldn't dream of diving post tear, I couldn't bend my knee. The thought of being on an unsteady boat just gave me the willies. I'm sure the boat ride near the Keys are a lot better than out here in California but a rogue wave can come from anywhere.

The funny thing is I found my orthopedic surgeon from a recommendation I got from a fellow Scubaboarder.:D

6 months after reconstructive surgery, I took my rescue class with the help of my custom brace.

Yes, I've snorkeled the Dry Tortugas last year and it was fantastic. I would go on the trip and snorkel.

Lindy

Glad to hear that shannonjon22! :thumb: I'll stop screaming about the sky falling now. :D

If you do go, and I could envisage that could well be possible depending on the severity of your injury, then I'd certainly kit and de-kit in the water and avoid possibly strenuous dives. And I'd certainly dive on nitrox, 36% if available and appropriate for the dive. The high pp of oxygen would be very helpful in promoting healing. And of course wear a supportive elastic bandage - take two in case the first suffers from being wet so much.

A scuba valet would be helpful, too. :D

Gawd, I'd like to have one of those sometimes...

I had knee surgery in late December, and was cave diving in March. My ortho is a diver as well. He cleared me for diving, BUT did caution me to be extremely conservative as the instance of getting DCS in the knee was more probable due to surgery.

1 - 2% is significant???

Depends on how you feel about it. In a world where people seem to be wetting themselves about terrorism which seems to have a risk of less than 0.001% then I'd say a risk of 1 - 2% is significant.

And I'd certainly dive on nitrox, 36% if available and appropriate for the dive. The high pp of oxygen would be very helpful in promoting healing. And of course wear a supportive elastic bandage - take two in case the first suffers from being wet so much.

I will definitely be diving Nitrox for each dive... I think the boat provides 32%. I am always concerned about getting a DCS hit, but given the injury, I am being even more cautious by staying shallow, diving Nitrox, and sitting out every other dive to allow my knee to rest and my body to off-gas. The last thing I want is for the Cap't and my group to have to deal with a off-shore evacuation due to my pre-trip injury.
Good point about getting the extra water brace. I'll be sure to ask for one at my next appointment. I'm wondering how the brace will look when I do my (naked) 100th dive!!!!! :mooner:

Oh, and after 2 days of walking without crutches but with a brace, I have now been walking quite steadily without even a brace for short distances. My dive buddy is amazed at how quickly my recovery has progressed and he is confident in my ability to handle the situation.
Thanks for all the input you guys. It has been helpful to read how everyone copes with injuries while trying to enjoy a sport we seem to all be so passionate about.

Depends on how you feel about it. In a world where people seem to be wetting themselves about terrorism which seems to have a risk of less than 0.001% then I'd say a risk of 1 - 2% is significant.

I've never "wet myself" over terrorism and none of the people I know ever have. You can couch it any way you like but 1 - 2% is negligible.

Oh I forgot to mention that for at least a year, one leg was stronger than the other and I was always going to one side. You have to extra vigilant about your compass headings!

Lindy

Update:
I went diving yesterday in one of our local Texas mudholes to test out the knee prior to the trip. I needed a bit of help carrying my tank from the car to the dock but geared up on the dock and did a front roll into the water. I had no issues whatsoever with knee pain while diving or on topside, even while climbing the ladder out of the water. I was also able to maintain my trim while keeping my knees bent to frog kick, which, btw, felt better on the knee than when I accidentally used a straight-leg kick.
I hope this thread helps others who may have questions about diving with a knee injury, although I realize that results may vary and one should always have the thumbs-up from their doctor before taking the plunge.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom