Canadian struck by barracuda in Jamaica

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Rare, but it can happen. Some of the news story is questionable, like bends from 15 meters or losing 2 liters of blood and still walking...?

Barracuda bites scuba diver | Local News | Prince George Citizen
Rick Brine's second scuba dive of the day, 15 metres below the surface of the turquoise Caribbean Sea, could well have been his last.
The 59 year old from Prince George narrowly escaped death after he was suddenly attacked by a large barracuda, which sank its inch-long teeth into back of Brine's head and cheek. Brine and his two dive partners had seen the barracuda minutes earlier with its mouth wide open, darting back and forth in the water off the shore of Negril, Jamaica.
"It felt like a baseball bat hitting my left temple and I thought, 'what the heck is that?'" said Brine. "It knocked my [breathing] regulator out and my mask was gone.
"II had a big pain on the back of my head. I found my regulator and got it back on my mouth and I was pretty sure I was bleeding. I saw all this green water around me and I couldn't figure out what it was. I yelled out 'Ken,' and hoped he would hear me and he turned around. When I yelled his name I lost my regulator again and started holding my breath, and I know you're not supposed to hold your breath, that's cardinal rule Number 1. Your lungs will expand as you surface and can pop."
At that point, all Brine could think about was getting to the surface. But at that depth, a rapid ascent can bring on decompression sickness, otherwise known as "the bends." Divers are trained to pause as they move closer to the surface slowly to allow time for their lungs to release dissolved gasses. The pressure of the water diminishes, the closer the diver gets to the surface.
"I was looking at the surface and I knew I was bleeding, so I thought I'll either bleed out or do risk getting the bends and get the hell up there," said Brine. "I was really confused. I remember being out of air and the surface was still another 10 or 15 feet, and I was thinking, 'Damn I didn't make it.' All of a sudden I saw the emergency regulator and put it in my mouth and shot right up to the surface."
Brine has about 20 hours of scuba diving behind him and is also an experienced kayaker and kayak instructor, which he credits with helping him to avoid panicking after he was bitten. Bleeding profusely from his head and cheek, Brine and the dive master, Ken, swam to shore and they walked through the resort restaurant to the medical clinic. It took about a half-hour for the bleeding to stop and Brine was then transported by ambulance to a nearby hospital.
He estimates the fish's mouth was about 10 inches wide. The upper jaw bit the back of his head and left four grooves from where the teeth raked his scalp. The lower jaw caught his cheek in a ripping motion which left a gash shaped like the letter K. The wounds in both areas each required 12 stitches to close. The doctor found a tiny tooth fragment in one of the cuts. After losing about two litres of blood, Brine was about to leave the hospital but developed a stomach ache and fainted, and spent another five hours in the emergency ward while his fluid was replaced intravenously.
Brine and his wife Allane planned the three-week trip to Jamaica to celebrate his retirement after 33 years working as an accountant for the City of Prince George on April 10. The April 26 attack happened two weeks into their trip and they both agreed to remain in Jamaica the following week. He developed a black eye after sleeping on his left side, the same side that was bitten, which was worrisome to Brine because it can be a sign of trapped gasses being released, a delayed indication of decompression sickness.
"What I was worried about most was infection inside my head," he said. "You hear a lot of horror a stories, but Allane did a good job every day and cleaned it and it ended up being OK."
Brine found out later Barracudas have a reputation as fierce predatory fish, but unprovoked attacks on humans are extremely rare. They are have been known to follow snorkelers or scuba divers but usually will not attack.
'About 10 minutes into the dive we saw a barracuda coming towards us with its mouth open the whole time and it came close enough to me that I saw its eyes," said Brine. "We all turned around and watched it veer off to the left and the dive master said, 'That's a big barracuda.'' Usually they're about six feet, but this one was seven feet in length.
"Barracudas and sharks do not like the taste of human blood, and what happens is they nip at you to see if you're on the menu, then they go away. Most sharks don''t eat people. They bite us, and that's what kills people because they're mouths are so huge."
Brine plans to return to scuba diving but says he's in no rush to return to Jamaica. Due to the rarity of his attack, Brine has been asked to fill out a report for the Professional Association Diving Instructors.

Wow, how unusual. In my over 30 years of diving, even though I have seen, and confronted, Barracuda along the reefs, I have never heard of one attacking like this. I know they are territorial, so it leaves me to wonder if the divers "invaded" this one's space? Also, was there jewelry involved, like a necklace with a pendant? More information other than, "we were just diving, and a Barracuda attacked" is needed to assess what happened.

We are leaving for Negril in about two weeks. Won't be doing any shore diving, but this one's hitting a little closer to home than I would have preferred.

Anyone aware of this occurring anywhere else?

We used to have a SB member named Cudabait or something similar who posted some. He lost a significant part of his face and almost an eyeball on a night dive to a Barracuda strike in Utila. Their best guess was that the transparent mask skirt attracted it. He had a few surgeries to rebuild his head and came out ok.

Last edited:
Several years ago, I was swimming out to a shallow spot from a beach in S. Fla (south of Venice area) in a rather murky surf and water in general. Suddenly, I felt something "slap" me on my left cheek. I couldn't see what it was but it scared me enough to get back to shore.

When I looked at my equipment, I noticed little prick marks in the silicon part of my snorkel--you know that flexible part that dangles down, the part that probably looked like a piece of bait (because of its color and flexibility) to something hungry. I figured it must've been a mackeral or something else that close in to shore.

I guess they do taste like Chicken Aye. Seriously though you don't hear of these attacks everyday so I guess they are rare. Given the number of dives conducted everyday around the world I guess it's going top happen some time. B

A few interesting tidbits:
- the diver had 20 hours experience. So this was a relatively new diver. Unfortunate experience.
- the cuda was described as "darting". This is a new barracuda behavior for me.

In my experience they just seem to "hover" and glide effortlessly. I have never seen one in an agitated state. That is why they are so spooky. The just seem to hang in the water and follow along beside you. To be fair, I have never seen one hunting.

Has anyone else seen abnormal or aggressive barracuda behavior? How often do you see this behavior?

A few interesting tidbits:
- the diver had 20 hours experience. So this was a relatively new diver. Unfortunate experience.
- the cuda was described as "darting". This is a new barracuda behavior for me.

In my experience they just seem to "hover" and glide effortlessly. I have never seen one in an agitated state. That is why they are so spooky. The just seem to hang in the water and follow along beside you. To be fair, I have never seen one hunting.

Has anyone else seen abnormal or aggressive barracuda behavior? How often do you see this behavior?

I have witnessed barracuda "darting" during several night dives, they are so fast and given their size it's more than a little unnerving. They make me more nervous, especially at night, than sharks. They look like/make me think of swimming razor blades.

Koh Tao night divees can be 'fun' with great barracuda rocketing over your shoulder to strike fish as they get lit up by your lamp. I have a lot of respect for these fish.

He's a local fellow. I hope I get to chat with him soon.

There was a cuda down North Carolina way a couple of years ago that moved towards me everytime I checked my PDC for the end of the SS. After a couple of times he caught my attention. I figured out he was seeing the crystal on my watch flash everytime I turned my wrist. I covered my watch he lost interest and swam off.

I wouldn't want to get bit by one for sure, must hurt like hell after the infection sets in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom