Canadian SCUBA associations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CapitanBlack

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Guys, do we have any national SCUBA diving associations? There are plenty of them from US and Europe - what about Canada?

Alternatively, is there any foreign association(s) "officially" recognized by government of Canada or B.C.? Will greatly appreciate any input...

Thanks!

There is no national association. A few provinces have provincial associations.

Quebec has the FQAS run its' provincial certification program. Outside of that there is no official recognition, federal or provincial, of any scuba association.

Anything in BC? What is the source?

The BCUC is non-functioning last time I looked. For BC associations the BCDIA (BC Dive Industry Association) is running. I think the NDA (Nanaimo Dive Association) is barely alive, if at all.

What exactly are you looking for?

I've applied for instructor's course funding, but officials asked me if there any Canadian or B.C. diving association(s) that can teach and certify instructors... I've also heard that P**I is somehow officially recognized in Canada. Could someone confirm that?

There is ACUC which started up in the 60's. It may be what you are looking for. Here is a link to describing their history from their initial startup as the Association of Canadian Underwater Councils.

About us - History

This is a link to their "Canadian site" Home

UCBC is sort of coming alive again. There were some updates on the website in December that suggests people are trying to get something going.

Underwater Council of BC | Scuba Diving West Coast - Home

While not what the OP is looking for, the UCBC is alive (and soon to be kicking) again. They are currently involved in closed meetings with Lions Bay council and are in the process of reorganizing and rebuilding their website. Once the UCBC has scored a win in Lions Bay (and thus regained some street cred), they will be amping up their involvement in the BC dive community.

I've applied for instructor's course funding, but officials asked me if there any Canadian or B.C. diving association(s) that can teach and certify instructors

Possibly the ACUC would qualify but they are the same as PADI, NAUI, etc. The only difference in that they maintain some form of HQ in Canada.

... I've also heard that P**I is somehow officially recognized in Canada. Could someone confirm that?

No. There are no agencies recognized by the feds or the provinces as the "Official training agency" , with, as I pointed out before, the exception of the relationship between Quebec and FQAS.

While not what the OP is looking for, the UCBC is alive (and soon to be kicking) again. They are currently involved in closed meetings with Lions Bay council and are in the process of reorganizing and rebuilding their website. Once the UCBC has scored a win in Lions Bay (and thus regained some street cred), they will be amping up their involvement in the BC dive community.

Very glad to hear this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom