Question Canadian hydro for + rated LP steel tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jhnvan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
So I'm trying to get some information about the hydrostatic testing procedures here in Canada. Particularly for a Faber 98+ rated Low Pressure tank.

The tank has both the TC (184BAR) markings and DOT (2400psi) markings. 184 BAR = 2650psi and 2400psi = 165BAR

My understanding of testing procedures in Canada is that they would be using the TC pressure: 184 BAR = 2650psi for recertification and hydro testing.

Since TC markings are for 2650psi, the hydro test markings wouldn't include the + sign after it but the tank would be rated for 2650psi (184BAR). The + marking in Canada would indicate a +10% pressure of the 184BAR and not the DOT markings....

The US DOT markings being 2400psi would require the + marking to be able to fill the tank up to the +10% rating when the tank is being tested in the US

Some Canadian shops seem to be under the impression that here in Canada, you require the hydro test markings to include the + sign to fill to the 184BAR from TC requirements. To me that is incorrect information. Some testing facilities also can't confirm this either as they aren't familiar with the difference in testing between the US and Canada.

Am I misreading the Transport Canada testing regulations somehow or are shops the ones not understanding how this is supposed to work? Anyone here familiar with the Canadian hydro testing procedures can confirm or correct my understanding of the rules?

Cheers!

The TC markings are in METRIC, including the REE which is in mL. It will be tested to 5/3rds * 184 bar. There are no pluses in the TC regs, nor is psi used. There are a few old old circumstances where DOT tanks were allowed under TC rules and filled under the +. No dual stamped tank is relevant to that tho.

If the facility is also an authorized US DOT tester they can plus stamp it if it meets the REE limits. So there can be TC tested tanks with a + but that's only so you can get them filled in the USA.

Your shop is totally wrong. If it has a current TC stamp its a 184 bar tank in Canada. The other markings are not applicable in Canada.

Thanks for the reply.

That's what I thought the regulations literature was indicating after going through them.

I've since spoken with a rep from Transport Canada and they also confirmed this. I'll try to give the shop the literature so they fill my tanks appropriately and have the correct information.

Thank you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom