Canadian divers rescued after stranding - Maine

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Diver is rescued from Nubble Island | SeacoastOnline.com
YORK, Maine — One of two Canadian divers stranded on Nubble Island by high winds and strong ocean currents was rescued Tuesday, according to York Beach Fire Department Capt. Ferris Boardman. His companion swam to shore.
Boardman said the men got caught in a current and swam to the safety of Nubble Island.
The rescue call came shortly after 3 p.m., with emergency crews being dispatched to the town docks and Sohier Park on the Nubble peninsula.
"We were stuck in the strong current," said diver Etienne Morin of Quebec.
Morin was able to swim from Nubble Island back to Nubble peninsula, but his friend, Vincent Begin, could not make the swim alone because of a hand injury.
Boardman said a member of the York Village Fire Department Water Rescue Team, Dave Butler, donned a wetsuit and swam the channel to reach Begin, then helped him back to the mainland.
Begin was declared safe by 3:46 p.m., and rescue crews cleared the scene just 10 minutes later.
Boardman said no one was taken to the hospital.

Good job by the Rescue Team member, Dave Butler. I guess this goes to show you should always check the weather and currents before diving, and if conditions don't look good before a dive, just call it off. There are always more dives, but there's only one life.

Did he not have fins on?
why is he using his hands?
and if you have an injury to your body, that will not allow you to swim, why would you think of diving?

The distance is 190 feet.

pretty sure I could easily fin my way 190 feet with a full BC without using my arms. If he was in that rough of shape, he had no place being in the water at all

Looking back at the buoy data for 3:00 PM on 9/18/12 they were right on the rise of wave height as a major storm rolled in. The story mentions the winds as well, then at 20+ knots. The wind was from the south effectively pushing them up the side of the island away from the exit. Those that know the site can realize that getting to the exit is one thing, actually exiting in heavy seas can be more of a challenge. This guy with lame hand was looking at a washing machine exit with a rocky ledge bottom. I have seen it and it's not a pretty sight. They were also a few hours past high tide, by then the water has receded to where all you have is an expanse of slimy rock to climb out on.

Certainly a mismatch of experience /skills and site /conditions. Dive planning is a skill. A few hours earlier it was probably nice diving.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom