Canadian dies in Cenote Kalimba Tulum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I remember Calimba correctly, the main line comes right out of the water. No "primary" reel needed.

The last time I was there it still came out of the water

It's a shame that this gentleman died. It sounds like he was a good guy. I would be quite hesitant to try to place the blame for his death upon him being solo, since nobody really knows what happened to him. One could argue that if he had a buddy with him, there might have been two fatalities, depending upon what happened in the cave. Just my two cents.

Kristopher

I'm not cave dive trained but it's certainly not a ridiculous assertion to think when going deep in a little hole in the ground, all completely underwater, that your chances of surviving a problem could be improved by having another diver around. Certainly there are some situations where it would be a liability, but with a potential air supply and redundant air supply around, I'd think it would help more times than it would hinder.

Whether it would help here, who knows?

I'd love to see some of that stuff, but I think I'll watch your stuff while you go in.

I'm not cave dive trained but it's certainly not a ridiculous assertion to think when going deep in a little hole in the ground, all completely underwater, that your chances of surviving a problem could be improved by having another diver around. Certainly there are some situations where it would be a liability, but with a potential air supply and redundant air supply around, I'd think it would help more times than it would hinder.

Whether it would help here, who knows?

I'd love to see some of that stuff, but I think I'll watch your stuff while you go in.

The answer to that is yes and no. Sometimes it seems that it's actually safer to be alone in a cave or a wreck than to have someone else with you who might kick up more silt, push further than you'd like to go, etc.

As far as redundant air supplies, you're generally carrying your own in a cave, via doubles. I know a couple of people who solo in caves and, generally speaking, they will go a little further and carry a stage with them that is just there in case there is a problem with their back gas.

I agree with you, though. Who knows what happened? It's a shame.

Kristopher

From another source, it appears that a day or two before this accident, this diver and a buddy were observed by an instructor to have run some line in an unsafe manner. They were approached about it, and even offered some coaching, but they weren't receptive. If this is true (and I have no reason to believe it isn't) it makes the story even sadder.

The diver who died was Bernie Reeves from Montreal. Hewas a member of our scuba club the Cormorants. He was a very experienced technical diver. His memorial is this Saturday. We are all saddened by Bernie's passing.

Speaking to a friend of mine that was there when it happened: He (Reeves) went in first alone and never resurfaced at the entrance pool after the two teams that entered some time after him had finished their dive and had exited. A jump reel was observed during the team(s) dive that was not properly marked. SPECULATION is that it may have been the deceased reel. He (Reeves) was located aprox 150ft from the entrance pool on the line and OOA. The deceased was not part of any group or team and was diving solo at that location and time. My condolences to all involved and affected.

Hey Some X Dry - Barbara here from SF. I have been following this; I've known Bernie since we did part of our cave training together but haven't been diving with him for a long time. Did your friends say what jumps the observed reel was connecting? Was it a major jump or one of the s/m passages?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom