Canadian dies in Cenote Kalimba Tulum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vancouverdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives

Mexico and Gulf Region Reporter: Cenote diving accident claims Canadian scuba diver in Tulum, Mexico

Error: Canadian dies in Cenote Kalimba, not Chac Mool

A sad day in Tulum, Mexico.
Article:
Tulum, Quintana Roo -
A Canadian man died here yesterday while scuba diving in Cenote Kalimba.

He was identified as 52 year old Bernaid Rieds. No hometown was listed by Spanish press sources.

The Yucatán peninsula is world-famous for its cenotes (see-note-ees) - water-filled sinkholes or pits. They're a part of the natural landscape, and a major tourist attraction. But they are not without risks.

Last April three people died while diving Cenote Chac Mool, near Playa del Carmen. The victims were a Brazilian husband and wife team and their Spanish guide, who was a certified master diver. They may have gotten lost in the cenote and run out of oxygen. One local paper called it a case bordering on "criminal negligence." Divers drown at Playa del Carmen cenote.

Sources say that Rieds was a "professional diver." He arrived at the cenote about 11:00 a.m., alone, and registered. Personnel said the cenote is for expert divers. They described it as a small, difficult-to-navigate cave, with confined spaces.

Rieds was carrying two oxygen tanks, one a reserve. When he didn't surface by the time cenote staff expected him to, they asked other divers to check for him. A search was launched, and about an hour later Rieds' body was discovered within 700 meters of the exit point. Both tanks were empty.

A diver told the local press that Rieds should have descended into the cenote with the oxygen tanks positioned laterally, on each side of his body, rather than on his back, which is the traditional manner. Such a practice enables a diver to make tight turns and navigate narrow routes more easily, he said. A photo of Rieds' body taken after it was recovered suggests that he followed the correct procedure, complicating the question of just what happened to him.

Rieds was found about 3:30 p.m. State law enforcement authorities took custody of his body. The Quintana Roo prosecutor is investigating the case.

Last edited:
Did I read this correctly, he went in alone? Man to me this is almost asking for it. But again pretty sad...

This wasn't Chac Mool. The diver was cave diving in an area called Calimba, which is a part of the system to which Grand Cenote is probably the best known entrance. Calimba is a very beautiful, highly decorated, tortuous and sometimes fairly technical cave dive. The area is full of side passages, and navigation is complex. This was the site of a double fatality in 2004, as a result of a team of four getting lost. The diver who died this time was alone, diving sidemount, and was found with empty tanks, suggesting he was lost or badly delayed on exit.

I'd like to know where he was found--that's a long way from the entrance.

From other information I've gotten, I suspect the 700 should have been 70.

Reactions: Jax
Unfortunate, and of course, seeing as how this was a solo effort, there was no chance of asking anyone what happened. It's a moderately technical dive best experienced by the more experienced.

Oh, I would strongly suggest a moderator change the title of the thread as it will be difficult to correlate with other threads elsewhere on this selfsame (actual) topic.

Did I read this correctly, he went in alone? Man to me this is almost asking for it. But again pretty sad...

before passing judgment you may want to educate yourself in solo cave diving as many articles including one from bill renicker postulate that solo diving in cave diving can potentially reduce risk. I know the recreational industry frowns upon this practice but many do not have the experience and training in cave diving.

I would say that it is very definitely a minority viewpoint, that solo diving makes it safer. There is some cave where you are diving solo, even if you are with a buddy (very small, very silty passage). It is possible that this diver was exploring some passage like that, although even the small stuff in MX is not as evil as the small stuff in FL that's full of that awful, fine clay.

I believe it is still the consensus of the major agencies that cave divers should dive in teams.

even the small stuff in MX is not as evil as the small stuff in FL that's full of that awful, fine clay.
That would depend on the cave itself and cant be generalized to specific countries.

Even though some agencies may not agree with it, it is still an excepted method amoung the cave comunity and a tool in a divers tool box. For an individual to say that he was asking for it because he was diving alone, shows the lack of education and understanding.

The view point that cave diving is safer alone depends on the situation, cave that one is diving and the potential buddy one may have . Everything depends on the situation.
The following from bill is worded fantastically:
My opinion on Solo Diving
As an Instructor for the NSS-CDS, NACD, and IANTD, I am appalled at the writing of some people who presumably do not understand the finality of cave diving. By this I mean the most important person underwater is yourself. By this I mean only you can swim for yourself, and only you can think for yourself, and above all only you can breath for yourself. If you cannot take care of yourself underwater then how do you expect to help a buddy in need. A question of the full cave test is “What is the most important attribute of a cave diver?” And the answer is “ The ability to think and reason for yourself underwater”.
How many of you have been in the Florida Keys and someone hand signals you, where is your buddy? In most cases the buddies are way more than a few feet apart. In open water diving we have the option to surface at any time. In open water training the emphasis is that even if you run out of air at 130 feet, no problem, all you have to do is the emergency swimming assent, and every thing will be O.K. This is the reason for the regulator out of mouth swims in the cave training courses. Seventy-five feet is a long way on the horizontal to swim without air. And, the purpose is to teach close buddy contact. In cave diving I see buddies way too far apart all the time, and in essence they are solo diving whether they believe it or not. In fact one day my class of two students and I witnessed a scooter diver getting caught in the line at Ginnie Springs and after approximately 3 minutes the buddy was still nowhere to be found. They both were solo diving at this time until buddy contact was reestablished. No matter how innocent the separation or time you must be able to take care of yourself at all times. During silt out, even though you and your buddy may be inches away from each other, you are solo diving until contact is made. When divers buddy up with difference levels of experience, is not the one with the less experience a liability to the other?
Solo diving may well be the most peaceful and rewarding phase of cave diving. You have only yourself to take care of, so all thoughts of the dive are concentrated on the enjoyment of the dive or the accomplishment of the task you have for the dive. In fact solo diving may be safer than diving with a buddy. In solo diving there is little or no ego threat or peer pressure. Minimal time pressure on getting ready. Spending more time looking and enjoying the cave as the speed or presence of the buddy is not a factor. Proper equipment configuration is the most important factor for solo diving. No manifold is safe, as there are too many weak points present which could be a total air loss. So in solo diving you will need a buddy bottle or side mount configuration to be safe. A buddy bottle is carried like a stage bottle and is never used. You never swim in a cave further than your buddy can get you out. In side mount configuration the tanks can be positioned in front of you. You have complete control over your equipment, even the ability to change regulators underwater if one fails. All equipment is at your disposal.
How many times have you been assembling equipment talking to your buddy. Every thing is peaceful and discussion and talk while away the time. Inherently you are subconsciously thinking you have a buddy to take with you.
In solo diving you look at every O-ring and make sure your equipment is properly assembled, because there will be nobody to assist you.
Because of the probability that some of the last deaths of certified cave divers in the caves have been from solo diving, the proposal to add a sixth rule to accident analysis is absurd. Of the over 30 certified cave divers who have perished in underwater caves, approximately 25 of them had the long hoses wrapped around their necks. Is that reason to add another rule to accident analysis? All who have perished have been wearing exposure protection, whether wet or dry, is that a reason to add a rule. When people who do not have the experience or knowledge to properly evaluate the situations and randomly propose rule changes I get upset.
Some of the most important people who have contributed to the successful learning curve of the training agencies are avid solo divers. I myself prefer solo diving at times, especially exploring in sidemount caves. I firmly believe that some tunnels in these caves are solo only tunnels. In extremely small tunnels do you really want a buddy between you and the surface?
Yes I do agree that for the most part solo diving is not for everyone. In teaching, over half of the students are easily confused as to which way is out. You can explain the dive over and over again to some people and they still really don’t understand what they should do. Some people have become lost in caves with multiple lines and luckily found another opening. There have even been several tragedies when buddies disagreed on the way out. In this scenario one was right and one was wrong. Some divers are leaders and others are followers, and the divers who normally never lead dives are usually unprepared mentally for solo diving. As I state to my students who have finished a cave course, “this course is a license to start learning how to cave dive”. Cave diving is a learned process and with experience and knowledge our safety is greatly increased. And with the proper experience solo cave diving is a viable option to experience the beautiful caves. Does not other sports demand a solo jump or a solo flight before you get the appropriate license? In fact should not cave diving demand a solo 1500 foot penetration to insure you have learned your lessons well? It should not be the sixth rule of accident analysis.

I do not want to turn this into a big debate on solo diving but just to put out there that people should thing before they make comments of things they may not fully understand.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom