Canadian cylinders

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Underwater Ogre

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Can anyone give me a few pointers on where I should try to get my Canuck steel cylinders recertified in Victoria...I have sent an email out to a couple of shops....but more would really help out. The more the merrier! See you soon!:D

Thanks
O\U

Hey guys,
Can anyone give me a few pointers on where I should try to get my Canuck steel cylinders recertified in Victoria...I have sent an email out to a couple of shops....but more would really help out. The more the merrier! See you soon!:D

Thanks
O\U

While it will initially depend on where the cylinders were manufactured, which standards apply to the manufacturing process & so on, my experience of talking to visitors is that it is usually easier not to bring scuba cylinders to Australia.

The following thread from the BSAC Diving Forum may be of assistance - Hydro Testing UK cylinder in Australia - BSAC Scuba Diving Forums. Please note the issue with valve diameters - 3/4" dia are the norm here, and the Australian requirement for overpressure relief valves (aka burst discs).

You really need expert advice from a number of Australian dive stores who should be Certified Test Stations for the Inspection and Testing of Gas Cylinders or Vessels as defined in Australian Standard 2337. I trust that you mentioned all of the details stamped on the neck of each cylinder as well as details of the valves in your emails.

Best of luck.

You shouldnt have any problems getting them tested. As diver257a mentioned any test station has to be certified to Australian Standards and testing is pretty much standard worldwide. The only difference here is that cylinders over 15 years old have t have a eddy current test performend on the neck threads to look for minute cracks.

I am suprised you wanted to go to the expense of transporting them all the way over here when hiring them would be so much cheaper.

You have to test every 12 months here as opposed to 5 years in the USA (not sure about Canada)

Prices will vary though. Here we charge $25 per test and $15 for the eddy current, whilst some dive shops chanrge $40 just for the tst. Just check if the dive shop tests themselves or sends them away.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cairns Discount Dive And Snorkel Trips. Live Aboard And Day Trips To The Great Barrier Reef

I am suprised you wanted to go to the expense of transporting them all the way over here when hiring them would be so much cheaper.

Why is it every aussie assumes I'm here on vacation too? :shakehead: When you're relocating, especially if you're taking a container, taking the tanks is basically free.

Anyways, a member of our club tried to get some european steel cylinders into use here. It took him a lot of looking but finally found a spot on the gold coast who could cross reference the standards stamped on the tank to the AS equivalent. Most places around Brisbane wouldn't touch it, so don't give up.

PS: oh, and Adreno in Brisbane is selling Worthington cylinders (canadian stell cylinders). Haven't seen many out and about here, but maybe that's a ray of hope. At least some of their line must have been AS certified.

Thanks for all the replies...
I have a steel Faber LP46 and a steel Worthington LP121. Both are 3/4" threads. I have sold my aluminium cylinders. But these steel are pricey to replace.

So when you say need to be tested every year...you mean hydro tested to 5/3 pressure? Or just Vis(+) testing?

Looks like my Worthington is no problem...now just hoping my stage makes the grade.
Thanks for all your help folks.

U\O

Good news...both my favourite steels will be making moving with me.

FYI...any steel cylinder that has a DOT 3AA or BS5045 standard on it are accepted.
U\O

Good news...both my favourite steels will be making moving with me.

FYI...any steel cylinder that has a DOT 3AA or BS5045 standard on it are accepted.
U\O

Good news & thanks for the FYI. I personally was aware that BS5045 are accepted & would have expected DOT 3AA to be OK as cylinders made to this standard have been available in Australia for many decades. Anyway, welcome to Australia.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom