Canada to US....can I take tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wetvet

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi guys....

I (and a few friends) am heading for North Carolina from the frigid tundra of Ontario in November. I would like to take my own gear, including my doubles. This is also the case for 3 of my travel companions. I understand that I can easily take tanks across the border if I am willing to de-valve them, but I don't want to take my doubles apart twice. Has anyone travelled across the 49th paralell in the last while (ie since Sept 11)? What were the requirements? Is it worth it?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Wetvet

If traveling by car you should not even have to de valve it.. I have traveld to canada and back with my own tanks.. If you plan on using them in NC makes sure they have a DOT stamp otherwise they will not fill it..

I take SCUBA gear across the Detroit - Windsor border and Port Huron - Sanilac border all the time. The only changes a traveller would notice since 9/11 are that:

1) You need a passport. A birth certificate at the least.
2) The lines are longer.
3) They ask more questions when returning to the U.S.

My buddies and I have not had any trouble with taking our gear in and out. SCUBA knives included.

Just stay within your per person limits if bringing Canadian brewskies back!

Paula

On the Friday after 911 I was heading across the bridge at Port Huron on my way to Gilboa. I expected tight security and was greeted by lots. One guy asking questions, one military looking dude braced in front of the car, and the third military type going from door to door checking me out. He opened the tailgate of my minivan and poked around the Rubbermaid box collection, asked if I was a diver, then tapped Al80's and asked what was in them. I resignedly answered "air" expecting him to cuff me and say "Open 'em up." He gave me that steely look that says "I know yer gonna lie when I ask the next question." Then, when he felt he had me sufficiently cowed, he snarled "Are they full?" I shrugged, "Yes", figuring I might as well really make his day and prepared to burn off ten bux worth of air. He gave me some more evil eye, then shrugged, and muttered "Oh. Okay." 8)

That was the one and only time they ever even mentioned my tanks and I've crossed perhaps 6 or 8 times each way per year with tanks on board.

JohnF

JohnF once bubbled...
That was the one and only time they ever even mentioned my tanks and I've crossed perhaps 6 or 8 times each way per year with tanks on board.

JohnF
I hear rumors that scuba tanks work well for transporting moonshine embalmed strawberries. Any truth to the rumor?

Charlie

p.s. Just how hard IS it to clean out moonshine and viz a tank?

Moonshine ... hmmmmm that's a good one!

OK I'm traveling from Canada to the States --- but I've never had a problem crossing the borders transporting my tanks. I've crossed at Sault Ste Marie, 1000 Island Bridge (I-81) and at Highway 416 (Ogdensburg NY) with no problems.

Recently a friend from the USA came across at the 1000 Island Bridge with singles and a set of doubles with no issues.

Charlie99 once bubbled...
I hear rumors that scuba tanks work well for transporting moonshine embalmed strawberries. Any truth to the rumor?

Charlie

p.s. Just how hard IS it to clean out moonshine and viz a tank?

I was doing fine till I filled the tank. Strawberries don't withstand 3000# worth a hoot. The flavour is now permanently injected into the tank walls, making for a much smoother dive. I tend not to notice narcosis any more as it begins with the first breath.

JohnF

I've been to the US side of the Thousand Islands (New York) several times with full tanks with no problems.

The only thing I lie about though is when the US customs officer asks "Plan to leave anything in the US"? My answer is usally "no", but that's not really true since I alway cross the US border with full tanks, but always re-enter Ontario with empty ones :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom