Can you wear swim goggle for the 400 meter freestyle swim?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry everyone I posted this on another place first by mistake. I'm practicing for the DM test and was wondering about this.

I assume it is for the DM course. If so, the 2011 PADI manual does not specify anything with regards to this very specific point. It states:

Swin 400 meters/yards nonstop, without swimming aids, and using any stroke or combination of strokes.

In fact, one could also argue that a wetsuit of some sort is acceptable because when it is not, the book does specify it. As an example:

15-minute thread...thread water, drown-proof, bob or float .......wearing only a swimsuit............

Having said that, your instructor will have the last word...

Assuming you are talking about the PADI DM course, goggles are allowed (but not a mask). PADI specifies the test will be accomplished “without swimming aids”, but the ban does not include goggles. If someone disagrees, have them check directly with PADI, as I have done in the past for a candidate whose eyes were especially sensitive to chlorine.

If you are asking about something else, disregard my response.

My instructor allowed me to, or I should say I did. I started practicing without. That lasted 1 day in the pool and I had enough red eye to not want to deal with that.

FYI on the wetsuit - this is from the OW course - If conditions warrant, students may wear an exposure suit as long

as they are weighted for neutral buoyancy.

And I did inquire of PADI about goggles at one point and was told they were acceptable.

Questions like this belong to your instructor.

Never hurts to get a second opinion, or to double-check. Instructors aren't infallible.

If we tell you one thing and the instructor says something else are you going to argue?

Personally, I'd be quite impressed if a DM student took the time and effort to research an issue - and could then cite compelling evidence to prove me wrong. I'd take that as a sign of motivation and initiative.

As instructors, we regularly have to confirm, research or otherwise ask PADI about training and standards issues. On occasions, instructors might even disagree on the interpretation of training policies and correct procedures...before sufficient research enables a correct interpretation to be agreed. As such, it's not a bad idea to develop such an awareness in budding Pro.

Oh... and back on-topic... I don't know of any restrictions limiting DM candidates from wearing swimming goggles for the watermanship assessments.

FYI on the wetsuit - this is from the OW course - If conditions warrant, students may wear an exposure suit as long as they are weighted for neutral buoyancy.
And for further clarification, "conditions" by PADI is environmental, not to offset some students physical condition.

Questions like this belong to your instructor. If we tell you one thing and the instructor says something else are you going to argue?

Agree. Best way is probably to ask the instructor, but also check with the agency yourself as to what the standards are, as sometime instructors don't follow them to the letter, of course. In this case I don't believe the goggle question is addressed. Perhaps it should be written in the standards, as the question has popped up here before. I had no problem using them. Goggles may increase someone's times if getting chlorine/salt water/water in general the eyes is a problem--thus, they COULD be called a swim aid. On the other hand if water in the eyes doesn't bother someone it makes no difference. Competitive swimmers always use them. Clarity is needed. Then we get into the purposes of the stamina tests......old stuff.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom