Can you tailor an already made DS???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MASS-Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
A few months ago I spend around $2,500 for this sweet TSL DUI drysuit (all kinds of pockets, relief zipper, courdora overlays, etc). But, I screwed up and the suit is way too big in the chest (it's a XXL) and I can't return it. For a while I was trying to dive it, but it reached the point that it just was not working. I have tried to sell it for as low as $1,100 but no one wants it and I've lost paitance. I need to dive dry, I'm too skinny to dive wet and I can't/won't dive my darlin' steel doubles wet.

My question is - the suit fits fine lenght wise, the problem is the chest is WAY to wide. Has anyone everyheard of DUI tailoring a suit - can I have the chest taken in ???

Thanks for any help.

John,

Have you contacted DUI? It shouldn't be a big deal to have adjustments made to the suit. Can't say how much it'll cost, but, it's gonna be worth it considering the loss you'll take trying to sell it and even worse, shelving the suit, considering the investment.

Good luck. Let us know of the response you get from them.

John,

I've seen these guys discussed at least a few times on-line (no direct experience with them myself). Might be worth a look if DUI can't help you out.

Certainly cheaper than buying a new suit.....

http://www.drysuitrepair.com

http://www.thedecostop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7343&highlight=drysuit+repair

Locally, you could talk to Northern Atlantic Dive Expeditions (Heather Knowles and David Caldwell -- based in Beverly). I know they do drysuit repairs (I originally spoke to Dave about having him put pockets on my new DS)...not sure if they do alterations, but very knowledgable about drysuits -- they may have some other suggestions about options for alterations if they don't do them.

http://www.northernatlanticdive.com

-Chris

Or talk to the guys at Superior Drysuit Repair. I had probelms reaching my valves, I called and described the problem, and they said "No problem." Rather than a new suit, they installed some baffles under the armpits to give me the flexibility I need. Great customer service and workmanship.

www.drysuitrepair.com

MASS-Diver:
A few months ago I spend around $2,500 for this sweet TSL DUI drysuit (all kinds of pockets, relief zipper, courdora overlays, etc). But, I screwed up and the suit is way too big in the chest (it's a XXL) and I can't return it. For a while I was trying to dive it, but it reached the point that it just was not working. I have tried to sell it for as low as $1,100 but no one wants it and I've lost paitance. I need to dive dry, I'm too skinny to dive wet and I can't/won't dive my darlin' steel doubles wet.

My question is - the suit fits fine lenght wise, the problem is the chest is WAY to wide. Has anyone everyheard of DUI tailoring a suit - can I have the chest taken in ???

Thanks for any help.

Just an add-on (I wrote the post on TDS that large_diver linked above)

DUI will make _MINOR_ alterations to an existant drysuit or replace/repair parts (legs, feet, valves, etc). DUI wouldn't make the significant alterations I needed to get my suddenly-large suit to fit.

Mark at Superior did a fantastic job for relatively little money. Turn-around time was under 2 weeks. Tonight I leave for a few days diving a wreck at 235'. I'm taking My DUI manufactured, Superior tailored suit.

As posted on TDS, I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

t

Thanks guys I sent DUI an email, but after reading these posts I assume they won't do the work I need, so I'll start contacting others. Thanks again and I'll update this thread when I know what is going on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom