Can you suggest a first dive camera?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Canon Ixus in a housing, make sure you set it to 'fish' mode. (Seriously, it does have a fish mode, it does make a difference) does video as well.

For a beginner ? Sea Life...

It is (relatively) cheap, it takes decent pictures and allows you to learn the ropes for a few years....

If you really dig it...go for a Nikkon D700 and casing...
Of course that will cost you 10 X as much....

That's was my approach...

PS In addtion, I've flooded my sealife at 100 feet last year...and the thing is still working !!!
It took a few hours in the oven (150) and I had to replace the Battery and SD card...but it works like a charm.

1. For a wider angle pick a camera with a zoom starting at 28 mm, not at 35 mm
2. Get a strobe at once. NC waters are quite crappy, so when you use a built-in flash of your camera you end up with plenty of murky white spots on your picture. These spots come from all the crap in front of your camera illuminated by the flash. In order for the light to bypass these closely located particles your flash must me located some distance away from your lense, on an extension arm. I got a G-flash which is inexpensive and is a slave flash, meaning it is triggered by the light from the built-in flash of your camera. I use a fiber optic cable to trigger G-flash, and I put a screen in front of the built-in flash so it won't flash to the front. The screen is the original matte screen that came with my Canon waterproof case and its purpose was to scatter the light from the flash; I wrapped it with electric tape to make it black. The G-flash is around $150, and if you need more light you have to spend more than a grand. I checked listings and my impression was that strobes in the $300-800 range differ only in having many bells and wistles like TTL but their light output is the same (I could have missed some, though). The fiber optic cable is available separately ($35, as I recall) and is attached on velcroes.

I've been diving 4 months, 41 dives, primarily NC wrecks. Looking for a quality durable camera for NC wreck diving. I don't want to be an underwater photographer yet. I'd like a camera reasonably small and simple that I can clip to my bc and not know it's there until i see a photo opp. Willing to spend about $500, but less $ would be great. I appreciate the help.

Might not hurt to talk to someone who understands options (most of us know what we like and use, but not much about other choices).

Jack Connick is a member of ScubaBoard, someone I know and trust, and runs a business geared toward the sale of underwater photography gear. I personally know many divers who got into entry-level photography gear through Jack's recommendations that were very happy with the choices they made, based on his recommendations.

Couldn't hurt to contact him and talk about what you're looking for ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

This web page shows all the U/W cases available for Canon P&S cameras.
Digital Cameras - High-End, Advanced Digital Cameras - D-Series Digital Cameras - Performance and Style, Digital ELPH Cameras - Easy and Fun! A-Series Digital Cameras - E-Series Digital Cameras - Underwater Photo - Canon USA Consumer Products
Most of these are available from B&H Photo for under $200.
B&H Photo Video | Digital Cameras, Camcorders

The case numbers that start with AW are "all weather" cases and are not rated to be water proof to a depth appropriate for scuba use.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Check out the FantaSea line of casings and accessories. Odds are you can get a casing for your camera for $200-$300 and then incrementally add on strobes/lenses. I started with a $200 Canon point-and-click in a case and then added two Remora strobes with a focus lamp and a wide-angle lens over time. Much easier to do piecemeal this way than to constantly replace your components.

I think there are a few Panasonic cameras that are good beginner cameras: TZ15 (though no manual aperture which is a pain and it is probably outdated by now) and the FX48 (the video and underwater mode on that were very good I've found). The FX48 is 700AUD for camera + housing.

I'm getting a new camera myself soon and am looking at a Canon G9 or a Canon S90 (not out yet but looks good so waiting for reviews). The S90 has a f2.0 lens so good for fast photos in low light (this is what I have found I need for underwater shots) and 28mm (or 25mm? can't remember) wide angle lens. All up for the S90 I would be looking at 700AUD (for camera and housing). The G9 is an older model but friends still speak quite highly of it.

But yea I look for good macro (1cm), fast lens, manual settings, long battery life (so don't have to take it out of its housing all day), wide angle capability, good underwater mode (Panasonics seem to be good in this regard though can't use macro in u/w mode :\), and a housing that allows an external strobe if you want to upgrade at a later stage. I would not recommend a strobe given you have stated: "I'd like a camera reasonably small and simple that I can clip to my bc and not know it's there until i see a photo opp". Strobes are a PITA on a camera I have found, if you want something small and simple. You can always get one later. I don't have a strobe on my ($50) camera and am happy enough with my shots.

I've got a Sealife DC500 with strobe and WA lens plus many extras. I'll sell for $250. I took about 5,000 pics with it as a starter camera, then moved on up to something with total manual control. The DC500 is the first of Sealife's small digitals, 5 MB sensor. About 3 years old.

Here's info available on wetpixel.com and on sealife's web site.

PM me if interested.

MOD: This probably should be moved to the UW Photo forum.

Just a thought: I have used my Canon SD 1000 on plenty of dives. It has an underwater setting to color correct. It also took great pics topside and was very user friendly. I've used the video function u/w with decent results (for a basic beginner camera). It was small enough that I could clip it to my BC while diving or slip it into my pocket w/o the housing for sight seeing. This camera was recently stolen but I still have the underwater housing. If you decide to buy a Canon SD and you want the U/W housing, I would be willing to sell it.

Ask HERE as well.

Personally, I have a used Canon A590 IS from Amazon that I paid $95 and an ikelite housing that I paid about the same for.

It takes great pictures, allows me to attach additional strobes, and has served me well for 2 years now.

I shoot in RAW format, download to photoshop, and do my color corrections there. It allows me a much greater control than I would get by putting a corrective lens on, IMHO.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom