Can you make it to the meeting?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have to stay home and watch Buffy...

Will there be a scooter there I can play with?
I might be able to swing a scooter, but we might have to let the guy who owns it come...

I would like to but that's a pretty long haul just for a meeting.

I would like to but that's a pretty long haul just for a meeting.
Maybe we can do one at Lake Rawlings so you NC boys can come out...

Hey! I'm planning to come and to bring 3 of my friends!
We are interested in equipment and thought this would be a good forum to get info. Also, we're seeking to meet and mingle with new divers in this area!
See ya there!

It's too far to drive, especially during rush hour, just to talk about diving. If on the other hand it included actual diving, that would be something else. For whatever it’s worth I think that getting together just to talk about diving is a waste of time. Sorry if that sounds negative but that’s the way I see it.

If you’re not careful, next thing you know you’ll be watching someone’s vacation slides, someone will start wanting to collect dues and elect officers, and it will become like the other cliquish, self serving clubs in the area. My vote is for only having informal meetings at a dive site, to go diving, not talk about going diving.

I have seen a lot of people that get through OW and then loose interest because it is so difficult to figure out where to go and how to find a buddy. Most of the LDSs seem to leave divers on their own after certification (if I was cynical I would say; after they got their $600 for a $100 dollar mask and snorkel and a training class). Sure they offer big trips but most people only have the money for one or two trips a year.

The best thing that we can do to promote diving as a sport in the area is to reach out to these newly certified divers and help them discover the local diving spots and work to improve their diving skills in an environment where no one is trying to sell them anything. With this in mind I think the best thing we can do is set up a schedule of local dives, making sure that not only will some be there, but also be available for asking questions in advance; such as how to get there, where to rent equipment, get air, excreta. The purpose would not be to “lead” dives, that would be the responsibility of every certified diver, but to help them get to the dive site.

My opinion, for whatever it’s worth,

Mike

Wish you would have said something earlier when we were planning it :)

For whatever it’s worth I think that getting together just to talk about diving is a waste of time.
It very well could be...but some people may want to meet each other before they dive together, may feel uncomfortable just showing up at the quarry and looking for a large, intimidating group of people they don't know, or may not like quarry diving at all and just want to hang out. Not to mention the quarry is going to be closing in about a month or so anyway...

I say we try it once and see if it is worthwhile. I am all for having meetings at the quarry too...I practically live there anyway.

If you’re not careful, next thing you know you’ll be watching someone’s vacation slides, someone will start wanting to collect dues and elect officers, and it will become like the other cliquish, self serving clubs in the area. My vote is for only having informal meetings at a dive site, to go diving, not talk about going diving.
I know what those clubs are like too...don't want to become one of those for sure. Agreed on the diving part...that's the problem with most of the local clubs already...

I have seen a lot of people that get through OW and then loose interest because it is so difficult to figure out where to go and how to find a buddy.
Agreed...

The best thing that we can do to promote diving as a sport in the area is to reach out to these newly certified divers and help them discover the local diving spots and work to improve their diving skills in an environment where no one is trying to sell them anything. With this in mind I think the best thing we can do is set up a schedule of local dives, making sure that not only will some be there, but also be available for asking questions in advance; such as how to get there, where to rent equipment, get air, excreta.
How should we do this? On scubaboard only or through some other means? This kinda stuff we can hash out at the meeting :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom