Can you help me with my dive research?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Done...

Done-

I answered based on gut reactions to the originating questions...and must say..as I progressed thru your survey was left with a sneaking suspicion that the research questions are biased toward wreck access restriction..just my impression. There's a HUGE difference between wreck diving ( survey) and wreck "penetration". May want to explore that dynamic at some point. Hope my participation was helpful. Best of luck.

Bubs

I was a little concerned about the extreme vagueness of phrases like "wrecks should be protected". I was thinking that wrecks should be protected for instance as in "no dynamite fishing", "no trawling" "no dreding a new ship canal through here". Someone else might think I meant protection would mean trying to keep anyone but a pre-approved researcher from approaching the wreck.

Thanks for participating MB, and for the feedback. I am just in the process of circulating it around Australia. Feel free to send the links on to you dive club. Cheers. Jo

---------- Post added September 21st, 2014 at 04:13 PM ----------

That's not the case DeepSeaExplorer, quite the opposite. Thanks for participating.

---------- Post added September 21st, 2014 at 04:17 PM ----------

Thanks for the comments FinnMom. When doing a survey internationally, it is more difficult to be really precise about protection, as it means different things to different jurisdictions and individuals. Cheers
Jo

Done.

Like a few of the other commenter’s here I'd have liked some more "type with more detail" options and some clarification of terms.
Wrecks CAN be protected and dived, and there's a big difference between say diving and dredging. Also a wide variety in different types of wrecks (and their value to the environment or human emotion) that needs to be separated for consideration.

If felt like someone has an interest in restricting access to wrecks and is fishing for data to champion that cause.
I agree with this feeling.

as I progressed thru your survey was left with a sneaking suspicion that the research questions are biased toward wreck access restriction.
I definitely felt this too.

MA:
I kind of got the impression that wrecks should be protected, and wrecks can be dived, were assume to be mutually exclusive. I strongly believe wrecks can still be protected and be dived
Definite agreement with this comment and about the entirety of MA's well written post.

Quality of training comes into play also.
I've been party to several discussions (including on this site) in which some certification agencies requirements are considered worthless; in many cases a mere excuse for a certification fee. Knowledge is more important than an arbitrary rating by a corrupt institution with a profit motive (which includes governmental regulators) so there's a lot of considerations to be taken.

Thanks for your comments SavageRon. Although I don't have any open questions in the survey I am keeping copies of all the threads on these forums and will use it in my analysis of the results.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom